Boils in the classification of the ICD - acute inflammation of the hair follicle with the appearance of pus and reddening of the skin around. It can be localized in the cartilaginous area of the external auditory canal and bring a lot of inconvenience.
The causative agent of infection in this case is Staphylococcus aureus, more rarely - white. What predisposes to the appearance of such a disease? How to get rid of an unpleasant illness? Let's understand.
The development of an inflammatory infectious process in the area of the external ear canal is not uncommon. In this part of the body there are many sweat glands, the discharge ducts of which open close to the hairs.
The main causes leading to purulent inflammation of the follicle are:
- occlusion of the sebaceous gland and attachment of infection;
- microcracks and trauma to the mucosa of the ear;
- some autoimmune diseases, diabetes, hormone-dependent asthma;
- general body hypothermia;
- excretion of pus from the m
- decreased immunity;
- vitamin deficiency.
In the photo, the anuricle of the external auditory canal
Due to the activity of bacteria that have entered the passage of the sebaceous gland or microcracks, the walls of the hair follicle become inflamed.
- First the patient feels a slight tingling, a slight itch, and then after 24-48 hours a bright red seal appears on the skin, which slowly increases in size.
- Next, the furuncle takes shape, similar to a cone, which in size can reach 1.5-2 cm in diameter. The cone is very painful.
- Soreness increases with a touch. The patient's fever rises, appetite disappears, sleep worsens.
- Then the tissues inside the follicle die, and suppuration occurs. At the top of the cone appears a purulent head with a black stem in the center.
- Develops a boil usually about a week. The breakthrough occurs in a few days with the release of a large amount of pus, after which a black necrotic stem emerges.
- Then the wound begins to clear, and the healing takes place fairly quickly. As a result, a small whitish shramik is formed.
Diagnosis of the disease is not difficult, because its symptoms are quite specific. Diagnosis of the disease can be in the following ways:
- palpation of the ear;
- pulling in the direction of the auricle;
- pressure on the cartilaginous tissue at the bottom of the auricle;
- examination by a doctor by an otolaryngologist with the help of special instruments.
Furuncle in auditory canal when examined by otoscope
How to treat?
When a boil is given, a local and general treatment is prescribed. Requires bed rest and observance of the daily routine. The room, where the patient is, is regularly ventilated. Meals should be high-grade, include vegetables and fruits.
At the first signs of the emergence of a furuncle, full-fledged drug therapy is needed. If the inflammation is severe, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics in tablets or in injections.
In addition, sulfanilamides are prescribed, as well as medicines such as suprastin and diphenhydramine. In the patient's auditory canal, turundas are administered with erythromycin ointment.
With severe pain, it is possible to prescribe painkillers. In difficult cases, surgery is required. Purulent cavity is opened and cleaned. The entire procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
When treating any boils, a good result is a dry heat. This method is aimed at accelerating maturation. To do this, apply a hot water bottle to the sick ear, wrapping it with a towel.
Folk remedies are quite effective in the treatment of boils. The first symptoms can be used in the following ways:
- Onions and garlic mash into a slurry, fry in vegetable oil. The resulting mass is applied to the boil 3 times a day.
- Rye flour mixed with honey, applied to a sore spot, wrapped with a warm cloth. Change the bandage every 5-6 hours.
- A good solution for boils is decoction of cranberry leaves and string. It is taken for ¼ cup before meals 4 times a day.
- Fir oil is mixed with Vishnevsky ointment( 7: 3 ratio).This mixture is placed on a bandage and applied to the inflamed area, fixing with a bandage.
Prevention of the auricle of the external ear canal
There are a number of activities aimed at preventing this disease:
- compliance with personal hygiene rules;
- prevention of injury to the external auditory canal;
- promptly detect, treat infections that are of staphylococcal nature;
- support, general strengthening of the body;
- fencing against hypothermia, especially in the cool season;
- use of gauze bandages during epidemics.
Video of the opening of the furuncle of the external ear:
To prevent the formation of a boil, you need to monitor the dryness of the ears. When washing your head or bathing, water should not get into the external ear canal. This also applies to shampoos and soaps. Clean your ears very carefully so as not to damage the skin.
Prevention of the furuncle of the external auditory meatus gives positive results. In this case, caution is the first step to healthy ears.