Biseptol is a combined agent that belongs to the group of sulfonamides. This medicine has a wide spectrum of action and helps to cope with microbes, but is not an antibiotic. In this case, the substance has many side effects and contraindications, because it can appoint only a doctor.
Composition, form, package
In the composition of tablets for adults, 0.4 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 0.08 g of trimethoprim are present. Tablets for children have a lower dosage - 0.1 g of sulfamethoxazole and 0.02 g of trimethoprim. The drug is released in tablet form. The package contains 20 pieces.
Form release Biseptol
The drug is produced by the Polish Pabianicki Pharmaceutical Plant.
The agent is used to treat infectious pathologies that result from infection by various microorganisms. The number of indications includes such anomalies:
- infectious diseases of the respiratory system - pulmonary abscess, sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia;
- a cold or flu;
- otitis media;
- is an inflammation and abscess of the brain;
- infectious lesions of the genitourinary system - urethritis, cystitis, prostatitis, salpingitis;
- infection of the digestive system - cholera, paratyphoid, shigellosis;
- infectious skin lesions - pyoderma, furunculosis.
Biseptol can not be used in such cases:
- complex forms of heart failure;
- diseases of the hematopoietic system;
- lack of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase - is hereditary;
- age is up to 3 months;
- premature babies;
- severe kidney failure;
- increase in bilirubin in children;
- high sensitivity to the ingredients or the remaining sulfonamides.
Mechanism of action
The combination of active ingredients allows bacteriostatic action and the destruction of bacterial microorganisms. The drug is effective against different bacteria.
The effect of the drug is due to the blocking effect on the metabolic processes of bacteria. Sulfamethoxazole contributes to the disruption of the synthesis of dihydrofolic acid, and trimethoprim inhibits the next stage of metabolism.
With the help of this tool you can cope with streptococci, pneumococci, staphylococci. It is effective when infecting with typhoid fever and dysentery, as well as infection with E. coli. In this case, the remedy does not allow to cope with Pseudomonas aeruginosa, the causative agent of tuberculosis, spirochetes.
Instruction for use
The dosage of the drug is selected individually. The product can be consumed after eating, squeezed the right amount of liquid. The volume of the substance is selected by age. So, in 3-5 years 240 mg are indicated. Children 6-12 years old should take 480 mg. Do this twice a day.
For pneumonia, the daily dosage should be calculated as follows: 100 mg of sulfamethoxazole per kilogram of patient weight. Between receptions should be kept for 6 hours. Duration of application is 2 weeks.
With the development of gonorrhea, the dosage should be 2 g of sulfamethoxazole twice daily. Between application it is necessary to do an interval of 12 hours.
All patients older than 12 years should take 960 mg twice a day. If long-term treatment is planned, the dosage is reduced to 480 mg.
The duration of this drug is 5-14 days. With a complex course of the disease or the presence of chronic infections, a single dose can increase by 30-50%.
If the duration of therapy is more than 5 days or the dosage is increased, it is important to keep the peripheral blood levels under control. If abnormal changes are observed, folic acid is prescribed. The dosage of the vitamin is 5-10 mg per day.
In people with kidney failure, in which the creatinine clearance is 15-30 ml per minute, the usual volume is reduced by half.
How to take Biseptolum for certain diseases:
Side effects of
Biseptol usually has excellent tolerability. However, sometimes it provokes undesirable consequences:
- The digestive organs react to the application of the drug by the appearance of diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, loss of appetite. Some people experience vomiting and nausea. In rare cases, develops glossitis, stomatitis, pancreatitis, colitis.
- The nervous system can respond to the reception of the drug with dizziness, depressive conditions, headaches. Some people have a shiver in their fingers.
- On the part of the kidneys, the volume of urine increases or the organ becomes inflamed. Sometimes blood is excreted in the urine.
- If the respiratory system is affected, there is a risk of suffocation, air deficiency, cough.
- When the hematopoietic system is damaged, the volume of leukocytes and neutrophils decreases. There is also a risk of a decrease in the number of platelets or the development of anemia, accompanied by a shortage of folic acid.
- There may be rashes on the skin, sensations of itching. In rare cases, Stevens-Johnson or Lyell syndrome develops. Quincke's edema can also become a dangerous complication.
- High sensitivity to ultraviolet can develop.
- There are a few examples of chills and an increase in temperature after the application of the drug.
With excessive consumption of biseptol, there are risks of such side effects:
- increased drowsiness;
- loss of appetite;
- impaired consciousness;
To cope with unpleasant symptoms, the drug should be discarded and the stomach washed. Also, the patient is shown a plentiful drink. His condition needs to be kept under control.
Chronic drug intoxication has a risk of leukopenia. Also, megaloblastic anemia and thrombocytopenia may appear. Eliminate these symptoms is helped by leucovorin. It is taken at 5-15 mg per day.
For people with a tendency to allergies, the drug is prescribed with great caution. With prolonged use of the drug, there is a risk of changes in blood counts. In order to minimize these threats, folic acid is prescribed in the amount of 3-6 mg per day.
To prevent crystalluria, care should be taken to ensure that sufficient urine is released. The risk of dangerous consequences increases with a decrease in the filtration capacity of the kidneys.
Against the backdrop of therapy, one should not eat foods that include a lot of PABC.They include tomatoes, carrots, green plant elements. Also, doctors advise to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.
Threats to the occurrence of unwanted consequences increase with the presence of AIDS.It is not necessary to use a drug with pharyngitis or tonsillitis, which are caused by infection with beta-hemolytic streptococcus of category A.
Trimethoprim may cause changes in the evaluation of serum methyl methotrexate, which is performed by the enzymatic method. However, this does not affect the results in determining the radioimmunoassay technique. Biseptol can not be taken during pregnancy and lactation.
Trimetrim is able to increase the activity of hypoglycemic drugs that are derivatives of sulfonylureas.
The combination of the drug with thiazide diuretics increases the threat of thrombocytopenia. There may also be an increase in bleeding.
The drug increases the anticoagulant effectiveness of warfarin. It is also capable of increasing the anticonvulsant functions of phenytoin.
When combined with rifampicin, the half-life of trimethoprim, which is part of biseptol, is reduced.
When combined with cyclosporine after a kidney transplant, there is a risk of significant deterioration in the person's condition.
According to numerous reviews of doctors about the drug, we can conclude that the drug has a high efficiency. It helps to cope with the pathogens of many dangerous pathologies. But it is very important to strictly follow the recommendations.
In our video, Dr. Komarovsky talks about the rules for taking biseptol:
Price for Biseptol
The cost depends on the dosage. The price of the medicine is from 30 to 120 rubles.
For preparations that have another active ingredient, but a similar action, include:
Cheap substitute tools are quite difficult to pick up because biseptol is inexpensive.
Synonyms of medication
To drugs that have the same active substance, include:
- is sumrolrolim;
Analogues and synonyms of Biseptol on the photo
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
The remedy can be bought under the prescription of a doctor.
Storage Conditions and Shelf Life
The drug is stored out of the children's access area. Temperature - no more than 25 degrees.
Biseptol is considered to be an effective tool that copes with various pathologies. In order for the therapy to be extremely effective, it is necessary to consult a doctor in time and clearly follow its prescriptions.