Bronchitis is a disease characterized by the onset of an inflammatory process in the bronchi. In many cases, the pathological process is provoked by bacteria or viruses. The disease can occur in acute or chronic form.
The use of antibiotics for bronchitis is a point of which there is much debate. Some argue that antibiotic medicines are necessary. Others hold the view that treating bronchitis with antibiotics is pointless.
Of course, these drugs can prevent complications, but are they always needed? In what cases are antibacterial drugs prescribed? What antibiotics to drink with bronchitis? We'll talk about this in this article. Do I need antibiotics to treat bronchitis?
The causes of bronchitis, like the symptoms of the disease, can be different. So, the disease can be triggered by the flu, ARVI, cold, adenovirus, mycoplasmal, chlamydial or banal infection. The development of the process is directly related to the weakening of the defenses of the body, a decrease in the resistance of the immun
e system to the action of harmful viruses, bacteria, fungi.
Treatment of bronchitis with antibiotics in adults is advisable only in in certain cases. :
- A bacterial infection has joined the virus infection, and the body is unable to cope with it for three weeks or more;
- The disease is chronic, often recurrent or atypical.
- Chlamydial and mycoplasmal bronchitis, arising on the background of weakened immunity and characterized by a protracted course.
- Age of the patient is 60 years of age or older.
Thus, the diagnosis of "bronchitis" in no case automatically means that the adult needs to take antibiotics. Without a thorough examination and establishing the causes of the disease, no drugs can be prescribed, especially to oneself. Depending on the type of bronchitis, a competent specialist will choose the optimal variant of drug therapy.
Scheme for treatment of bronchitis and pneumonia
For adults, doctors prescribe different antibiotics and apply different healing procedures. So, antibiotics for bronchitis and the treatment regimen depend on:
- having a tendency to allergies;
- character of the disease( acute, chronic);
- type of pathogen;
- parameters of the drugs used( speed and spectrum of action, toxicity).
Antibiotics powerfully affect the human body, and their thoughtless use can harm, not help.
Which antibiotic is better for bronchitis?
This is the one to which the causative agent of the disease is most sensitive. How to determine this, and what antibiotics to drink with bronchitis? The most correct choice of a drug will be after the result of bacterial culture of phlegm on sensitivity to antibacterial agents.
According to the recommendations of specialists, one of the following drugs is prescribed for the treatment of bronchitis in adults.
- Group of aminopenicillins .Title: Amoxiclav, Amoxicillin, Augmentin. Exposure to drugs in this group destroys the walls of bacteria, which causes the death of microorganisms.
- Group of macrolides. Title: Sumamed, Macropen. Antibiotics of this series disrupt the process of protein production in bacterial cells, resulting in the loss of microorganisms ability to reproduce.
- Group of cephalosporins. Name: Cefazolin, Ceftriaxone. The bactericidal effect of antibiotics - cephalosporins is carried out by inhibiting the synthesis of the substance, which is the basis of the bacterial cell membrane.
- Fluoroquinolones group .Title: Ofloxacin, Moxifloxacin. They act destructively on DNA of bacteria, causing their death.
- The average price of these drugs varies in the range of 350 - 500 rubles.
However, most often the doctor prescribes a broad spectrum antibiotic according to the standard of treatment, without waiting for the results of the tests, or not conducting them at all.
Antibiotics for acute bronchitis
The use of antibiotics is justified only in the case of bacterial etiology of bronchitis. With its viral origin( in most cases characteristic of the acute form), it is not only impractical, but can even do harm, since antibiotics act depressingly on the immune system, thereby preventing the body from fighting the disease. In addition, they cause the development of dysbiosis.
Therapy of acute bronchitis is primarily aimed at alleviating the symptoms. The drugs of the first line are mucolytics and expectorants, which help to effectively withdraw phlegm. When cough accompanied by shortness of breath and difficulty breathing, prescribed bronchodilators, for example, Salbutamol.
The latest recommendations of the world's leading experts in pulmonology, doctors from the National Institute of Health UK, dot the i. They say that the treatment of acute bronchitis with antibiotics is not recommended, except in cases of serious complications. Usually such a probability exists in adult patients with concomitant diseases.
Features of taking
Regardless of the type of treatment the doctor prescribed for an antibiotic, there are certain rules for taking these medicines.
- The course of taking antibiotics should be continuous and continue as long as the doctor prescribed.
- The concentration of the drug in the blood should be constant. They achieve this by using the medicine at the same time intervals.
- Observe the effect of taking the drug. If no improvement occurs after 2 days, then the antibiotic does not work for this type of bacteria and the medicine needs to be replaced.
Antibiotics are very strong drugs, so treatment of bronchitis with the help of these funds should be under the supervision of a specialist. Independently prescribe any drugs can not, especially for children. Incorrectly selected dosage as well as lack of indications can lead to deterioration of health status and occurrence of side effects.