Ubiquitous statistics claim that the diagnosis of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine of different stages is more than 80% of the inhabitants of Russia. Meanwhile, doctors warn of the very dangerous consequences of neglected forms, which can become a threat not only to health, but also to the life of the patient.
| Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home quickly and efficiently |
| Which doctor treats osteochondrosis? |
| We treat lumbar osteochondrosis with effective methods |
| Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine and its treatment |
| Medical bile with heel spur - application |
Attention! Learn more about the symptoms and treatment of osteochondrosis.
Cervical osteochondrosis - what is
Osteochondrosis in itself is an irreversible degenerative-dystrophic destruction of vertebral discs and vertebrae. It is characteriz
ed by a violation of the integrity of the intervertebral component, which causes intervertebral hernias and protrusions, and later the destruction of the bones of the vertebrae. These changes lead to complex processes in the body and, in addition, that cause severe painful sensations, affect the functioning of the body as a whole.
Important! The process is irreversible, it is impossible to restore the damaged cartilages and disks, you can only slow down their destruction.
The danger of this process in the cervical region is multiplied by the presence of a large number of nerve fibers and vessels connecting the brain and the human body, as well as the proximity of the placement of the vertebrae( here they are 7 in a small space).
Warning! The slightest squeezing of the arteries, nerve fibers or blood vessels in the cervical spine will cause a whole series of symptoms, the severity of which will depend on which roots or vessels they experience.
There are many reasons for this dangerous disease, although it is still not known exactly why osteochondrosis occurs in one area or another. Among the factors provoking cervical osteochondrosis, will be:
This is the most volume factor in both quantitative and qualitative terms. To it should be carried:
Attention! You can find out about the treatment of chest osteochondrosis in our article.
- sedentary work;
- long stay in a tense or uncomfortable position for significant periods of time;
- small physical exertion on the spine( this contributes to the weakening of the muscular corset);
- too much strain on the spine.
Today, a very large number of people are subject to the listed factors of the onset of this disease due to the prevailing model of social life and social behavior.
Injuries to the spine in 90% of cases are accompanied by cervical osteochondrosis. Often, it does not occur immediately after the injury, but after a certain time. Here the main component of the occurrence is the broken integrity of the ridge.
Hormonal failures of
This factor can occur already in adolescence, with the reorganization of the child's body. This type of osteochondrosis can be treated successfully.
If osteochondrosis occurs against a background of menopause or diseases that alter the hormonal background( diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis), the treatment will be symptomatic.
This reason arises almost always as a companion to others. Since the genetic predisposition itself is not the basis for the disease, it is of great importance in the case of other factors.
The manifestations of cervical osteochondrosis are very similar to many diseases that cause the complexity of diagnosis. Their manifestations depend on which particular nerve roots are subjected to compression, in addition, many symptoms are associated with impaired blood circulation of the brain. Despite a wide range of symptoms, a number of the most common can be identified. The appearance and strengthening will depend on the degree of development of the disease. Here they are placed according to the frequency of appearance.
Warning! You can find out how to treat osteochondrosis of the lumbar region here.
Headaches for osteochondrosis of the cervical part of the
One of the first, most persistent and most frequent symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis is a migraine headache. It will be well-adjusted with analgesics, but as the disease progresses, its intensity becomes higher, and it is more difficult to quash.
Important! Pain can be dislocated by pulsation in the temples and occiput, can affect the parietal region, give to the parietal bone.
Pain sensations in the neck
Usually weak at first, the pain in the neck appears only when touching the affected area, in the future, pain can be given to the nape, shoulder, arm( this depends on which nerve endings are trapped).In this case, it appears when you turn or tilt the head, sharp movement of the trunk, set constant, has an increasing intensity.
Limitation of motion amplitude, crunch
Another symptom of cervical osteochondrosis is the limitation of movement of the head and neck, it is difficult for the patient to turn his head, there is no way to do it fully, it is impossible to tilt his head forward or backward. When turning, a characteristic crunch appears.
Weakness of the hands
If the nerve roots responsible for the innervation of the upper limbs are damaged, weakness in the hands appears, in severe cases paralysis may occur.
Numbness in the hands or areas of the body
When squeezing the roots responsible for sensitivity, there is a loss of sensitivity in the hands, fingers or numbness of certain areas. With advanced forms of the disease, paralysis( complete or partial) of the hands and the whole body is possible. This again depends on what nerves are affected.
Hearing loss, vision
For this disease are characterized by such signs as a decrease in hearing and vision, numbness of the lips, tongue. These organs are in close proximity and suffer the first from insufficient supply of the brain with oxygen.
Dizziness in cervical osteochondrosis
With cervical osteochondrosis, one of the most unpleasant symptoms will be dizziness, sometimes it may be accompanied by a loss of coordination in some cases there is syncope, nausea. These symptoms are associated with impaired cerebral circulation as a result of the transmission of arteries and blood vessels.
Warning! You can find out about which doctor treats osteochondrosis.
About diagnostic methods for
If you experience one or a series of symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis, it is best to contact a doctor for a diagnosis. There are several methods of diagnosing osteochondrosis, the most informative among them will be:
- computed tomography;
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging;
- dopplerography of vessels;
- is most commonly used - radiography.
For the diagnosis of osteochondrosis in the early stages, radiography is not very informative. Vascular dopplerography is performed in difficult cases, when severe symptoms occur: loss of sensitivity in large areas, paralysis, fainting.
Important! Successful treatment is possible just in the early stages of the disease and it depends on the correct diagnosis.
Stages of the disease
The disease is characterized by an increase in symptoms and their severity, distinguish 4 stages.
- I-I - a pain in the neck when touching the affected nerve endings. Pain appears when you turn your head or neck. At the level of the spine, no damage is found, only intervertebral space disorders.
- II-I - is the appearance of shooting pain, which can give in the arm, shoulder, and which is amplified by turning the head. Headaches like migraine. Pain is caused by minor destructive changes in vertebral discs.
- III-I - increased pain, which becomes permanent, numbness occurs, stiffness of head movements, weakness in the hands, attention and memory are disturbed. At this stage there are disruptions to the integrity of the discs( cracks, protrusion of the joint bag), intervertebral hernia.
- IV-I - is characterized by the destruction of discs and vertebrae, a violation of the integrity of bones. At this stage, surgery is very often required, because of hernias, paralysis and immobility of the upper limbs or the entire body can occur.
Important! Treatment of osteochondrosis of the neck at home is possible and necessary in 1-2 stages, the third stage requires medical treatment under the supervision of a doctor.
Treatment at home
Before starting treatment at any stage, a consultation of a vertebrologist is required, which will put the correct diagnosis, will conduct the necessary examinations. Osteochondrosis can have symptoms similar to heart failure( hypertension, difficulty breathing, problems with attention and memory).
Warning! With improper or untimely treatment, cerebral ischemia, spinal stroke, compression of the spinal cord, radiculopathy are possible, and these complications of the disease often threaten the life of the patient.
With the correct and timely diagnosis, treatment at home should include the following components:
- special physical exercises.
All three components are very important, must necessarily go to complex treatment, which ensure a good result for a long time.
Warning! Learn more about the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home.
A very good effect after the removal of acute pain will give traditional massages. Their courses are recommended to be conducted at least once every 6 months. Today, there is a large selection of techniques aimed at treating cervical osteochondrosis, which will allow choosing the most suitable option.
- There were qualitative manual techniques, allowing to get a good result.
- A new direction is osteopathy, aimed at treatment by hands, but treating the human body as a unity of musculoskeletal, nervous and mental systems.
- A good solution is a professional acupuncture course, conducted by an experienced specialist.
- With success massage replaces hirudotherapy( treatment with leeches), it is not without reason that it is equated to acupuncture.
Exercises for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
One of the factors contributing to the onset of this disease are small loads on the muscular corset. We lead a sedentary way of life, spend a lot of time in the same pose, often uncomfortable. Therefore, 10 simple exercises to strengthen the muscular corset of the neck should be included in your daily exercise. It is especially important to deal with those who have the first signs of this disease.
Important! Exercises should be done only when the acute pain is removed. At an exacerbation to do or make them it is undesirable.
- Perform standing 5-7 times: place the legs on the width of the shoulders, the stomach is drawn, the shoulders are straightened. Raise your arms to the sides and up, then connect them up and wind back trying to connect the blades. Then, be straight again.
- It's good to perform standing, but you can also sit 7-10 times. Grab your arms( as if hugging), try to do it as much as possible( elbows forward), then wind your hands back and connect them, touching your elbows with your hands. Try to draw in your stomach.
- It is better to do standing, but if you are very dizzy you can sit, each movement 3-5 times. Neck straight, shoulders straight. Turn your head to the left and try to touch your shoulder with your chin, do not lift your shoulder. Repeat this, turning your head to the right, turn in turns.
- Do the same exercise, tilting your head back and forth as much as possible. Try to reach the chest with your chin. Do the slopes slowly.
- Then do, very slowly and carefully, a semicircle from the left shoulder to the right tilting the head forward. Do not do circular motions - just a semicircle. Repeat the movement in the opposite direction.
Do this exercise, tossing the head back as far as possible. Remember, you need to do slowly and only semicircles.
- It's also better to perform standing, but you can also sit for 5 seconds.3-4 times. Squeeze your fists and support your chin. Press on the fists with a strong chin for 5 seconds, then place them on the back of the back of the back of the head and press again. This exercise well trains the muscles of the neck.
- Perform sitting for 7-10 turns in each direction. Put your hands in the thighs, tilt the head as much as possible forward, it is good if you manage to rest your chin in the chest. Now turn your head to the left and right one by one, without lifting your chin from your chest.
- Perform sitting on a chair with a low back, try to do this at least 3-4 times. Straining your shoulders, try to look at the wall behind you.
- Perform sitting on a chair, placing your hands between your knees for 5-7 times. On the inspiration, lean to the side as you exhale, sit straight. Do alternately left and right.
- Lie on your stomach, bend upwards. Try to do it 5-6 times. Do as much as possible and hold on longer.
Tip! Do the exercise at a convenient time, perhaps at a break or when the neck will be tired from a strained posture. There can not be too much here. The main thing is not to do immediately a large number of times.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment of spinal problems with folk remedies basically represents the warming up of the affected area. When using prescriptions for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis, it is worthwhile to be cautious, since direct proximity to the brain can make too intense heating more harmful than beneficial.
Important! You need to use recipes that have a soft effect, not producing a strong irritation.
To prepare it you will need:
- 10 ml iodine;
- 10 ml camphor oil;
- 10 tablets of analgin( 500 mg);
- 300 ml of alcohol.
The tablets must be ground into powder and mixed with all the ingredients. The resulting composition is applied a thin layer on the neck.
- Potatoes. It is good to apply a compress of grated potato with honey for the night.
- Horseradish. Fresh horseradish leaves should be held over water vapor, cool and put on for 10-15 minutes.to the neck.
- Hops. Unsalted lard( 1 tbsp.) To pound and add ground fresh or dried cones of hops( 1 tsp), the resulting mixture is applied to the nape as a compress for the whole night.
- Aloe. Take 1 part of the crushed leaves of scarlet, 2 parts of honey and 3 parts of vodka. Mix everything and let it brew for 12 hours. Compress apply for no more than 15 minutes.
Traditional treatment should consist of anti-inflammatory drugs that are needed periodically to relieve severe pain and medications designed to mobilize the body to fight the disease: vitamins, neuroprotectors, chondroprotectors.
In addition, depending on the problems encountered, prescribe drugs that relieve the symptoms that have occurred when a certain part of the nerve root is affected, these may be:
- pressure reducing drugs;
- for improving vision;
- for numbness removal.
In the initial stages, severe pain can be quenched with pain medication. These can be Analginum, Spasmalgon or Panadol, Efferalgan, Tylenol. In more complicated cases: Naise, Ketanov.
Anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs are prescribed during an exacerbation period to relieve inflammation, and Meloxicam, Ibuprofen, Voltaren, Diclofenac will be among them. These drugs are available in tablets, capsules or injectable solutions. Part has the form of ointments for external use. The course of treatment should be determined by the doctor.
Important! Prolonged use of drugs from a number of anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs may cause irritation of the gastrointestinal mucosa( GI tract) in a healthy person. In the presence of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract - treatment with analgesics causes an exacerbation.
It is necessary to take vitamins of group B( B1, B6, B12).They contribute to the improvement of the brain, favorably affect the work of the nervous system, improve the transmission of nerve impulses, which affects the improvement of the general condition.
These vitamins can be taken in the form of intramuscular injections, according to the scheme or complex, for example Milgamma, which greatly improve the effect from them. At the first stages of the disease, they are shown as tablets( complexes of vitamins Aerovit, Duovit, Alphabet) or dietary supplements( official medicine is not recognized).
Drugs that improve cerebral circulation
Neuroprotectants are drugs that affect the functioning of the brain. These include a large group of drugs that affect different processes, among nootropics, improving memory and concentration of attention will be Noben, Glicin, Biotredin, Aminalon.
These medications are prescribed in cases of blood flow disorders in the brain as a result of vasoconstriction.
Warning! Neuroprotectors are necessarily prescribed by a neuropathologist.
A special place is occupied by chondroprotectors - drugs that improve the nutrition of the cartilaginous tissue of the spine( glucosamine and chondroitin), which should slow down their destruction. It can be Arthra, Teraflex, Chondro. Clinically, their positive effect has not yet been proven, but they are applied as dietary supplements and are allowed by sanitary and medical examinations.
Important! These drugs may be useful in the I and II stages. In the future they are unlikely to have the desired effect.
About diets and nutrition
In cervical osteochondrosis, it is important to eat food and herbs containing B group vitamins, it can be:
- porridge, chamomile;
- mint, mother-and-stepmother;
Fresh vegetables and fruits are shown. It is not advisable to consume salt, its amount must be reduced to a minimum. This is due to a violation of cerebral circulation. There is no need to increase the intake of calcium and potassium.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is an insidious disease that can lead to complex pathologies that led to disability. At the same time, correct behavior, moderate exercise and systemic treatment can slow down its development, and even suspend it for a long time. Live happily ever after and be well!