A well-proven method of monitoring computer pulse oximetry is a non-invasive examination technique that is needed to determine the amount of oxygen in the blood. Identify the value of oxyhemoglobin in the study, on the basis of which the result is based.
The procedure is based on the examination of arterial blood. The decrease in oxygen in it leads to a deterioration in the state, a decrease in vitality. Pulse oximeter is designed only to determine the quantity without changing it. In addition, it measures the pulse rate and fixes each change in the pulse wave. In this article you will find detailed information about the method of pulse oximetry and its technique.
To whom the pulse oximetry
is assigned Diagnostics is used in different areas. So at a cardiologist's appointment, you can be assigned a pulse oximetry during:
- Plastic surgery and vascular surgery. The technique is necessary for oxygen saturation and monitoring of the pulse.
- Resuscitation and anesthesiology. Here the d
evice is needed when transporting the patient, to confirm cyanosis.
- In obstetrics, it is needed to diagnose fetal oximetry.
- Neonatology. In this case, the device is connected to preterm infants, which helps to detect various abnormalities( damage to the lungs, retina, etc.).
- Therapy. It is irreplaceable for determining the effectiveness of drug treatment, helps to identify apnea and respiratory failure.
- In pediatrics, pulse oximetry is used as a non-invasive method of monitoring.
This video is in great detail in English:
Why it is needed
Pulse oximetry should be done for a number of diseases, including
- pulmonary heart,
- severe course of COPD,
- metabolic syndrome,
The procedure is important for determining the amount of oxygen in the blood. In the presence of cyanosis, a sense of shattering, stopping breathing during sleep, apathy, drowsiness and sweating, you should consult a doctor. The deviations detected by pulse oximetry can be eliminated in time, which is important for health.
Types of procedure
The following types of pulse oximeters are selected:
OUR READERS RECOMMEND!
For prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, our readers advise the drug "NORMALIFE".This is a natural remedy that affects the cause of the disease, completely preventing the risk of getting a heart attack or stroke. NORMALIFE has no contraindications and begins to act within a few hours after its use. The effectiveness and safety of the drug has been repeatedly proven by clinical studies and long-term therapeutic experience.
The opinion of doctors. .. & gt; & gt;
- sleep monitors.
The study itself is of two kinds:
- Reflected .The analysis is subject to light flux, which is reflected from the tissues. If this type of research is carried out, the sensor can be located anywhere on the body.
- Transmission .The light flux that passes through the tissue is analyzed. The device should be fixed on the wing of the nose, ear or finger.
Indications and contraindications for the
The indications for pulse oximetry are:
- oxygen therapy;
- respiratory failure;
- risk of hypoxia( including in various chronic processes);
- prolonged anesthesia;
- chronic hypoxemia;
- postoperative period( especially with distal interventions, vascular wall reconstructions or orthopedic surgery);
- different types of apnea or suspicion of it.
method safe? Pulse oximetry is completely safe and painless, which distinguishes it from invasive examination methods.
Preparing for the
- procedure You can not use any stimulant before the test.
- Banned drinks include caffeine, alcohol, as well as sedatives, tranquilizers.
- For a couple of hours before sleeping completely refuse to eat, and if the patient smokes, then a bad habit at this time should be excluded.
- The hands should not be applied to the cream if the pulse oximeter is attached in this area.
Next, an algorithm will be considered for performing( performing) pulse oximetry on the patient.
How everything passes
You can install the sensor yourself, following the instructions:
- Pulse oximeter is put on the finger at the time of preparation for sleep. The retainer should be located above the nail plate.
- The end of the finger should not be beyond the limit of the lock.
- Once the instrument is installed, the oximeter will automatically turn on. In the next 20 seconds, the oxygen saturation level is studied, after which the result will be displayed. It will be indicated in percentages, and the pulse data will be next.
- Next you need to go to bed. Recording of data will continue uninterruptedly for another 16 hours. After waking up the device must be turned off, and then it is transferred to the doctors to decrypt the data.
For normal values in adults and children by pulse oximetry, read below.
For more information on how to perform pulse oximetry, see the video below:
Decoding of the results
The doctor-somnologist decrypts.
- Blood saturation with hemoglobin is considered normal to 98%, and if the values are close to 90%, then this indicates hypoxia. The saturation index should be more than 95%.
- If we talk about children, then at every age there will be a norm. If the data shows 100% saturation with oxygen, then a conclusion is made about deep breathing during sleep. The same result is obtained with the use of oxygen mixtures.
- With obstructive apnea, the radiation can be 80%, which is a critical mark. The indicator says that during sleep, there are significant difficulties in respiratory activity. This often requires respiratory support at night.
The price of pulse oximetry is discussed below.
The average cost of the procedure
The procedure during the night period will cost about 2500 rubles, and sometimes less. For information on where to make pulse oximetry, your PCP will tell you.
On the role of pulse oximetry in the treatment of sleep disorders this video will tell: