Neomycin refers to aminoglycoside antibiotics, which are prescribed for the treatment of various infections. The drug is a complex of compounds for which intrinsic antibacterial activity. Neomycin is synthesized by the radiant fungus Streptomyces fradiae.
Composition, form, package
Antibiotic is issued in the form:
- Powder in vials of 0.5 g( 50,000 units);
- Tablets of 0.1 and 0.25 g;
- Ointments for external use, with concentration of active substance - 0,5% and 2%.Produce in tubes of 30 and 15 g;
- Aerosol. The preparation is a homogeneous white suspension.
Aerosol produces a pharmaceutical factory Polfa, Poland.
Neomycin in the form of an ointment is produced by Nizhpharm, Russia.
Forms of release Neomycin
The drug in the form of aerosol and ointment is used topically for the therapy of various infections. Neomycin is also widely used to prevent the development of infectious damage to the eyes after surgery.
Tablets are taken orally for the treatment of diseases of the digestive tract of an infectious and inflammatory genesis, for the sterilization of the intestine before surgery. Antibiotic can effectively cure such pathologies:
- Ulcerative colitis;
- Intestinal infection of unclear etiology;
- Non-infectious colitis;
- Typhoid fever;
- Any forms of paratyphoid;
- Crohn's disease;
- Salmonella infection;
- Cholera El Tor;
- Digestive system infection caused by Escherichia coli;
- Diseases caused by parasites.
Neomycin is prohibited from prescribing in such cases:
- The presence of an allergy to aminoglycosides;
- Hypersensitivity to ingredients;
- Damage to the skin surface, development of trophic ulcers in local use;
- Under 6 years of age;
- Obstructive conditions( COPD bronchial asthma);
- Pathological processes in the intestines, kidneys when ingestion.
The medicine is used with caution in such groups of patients:
- Patients of advanced age;
- Against the background of dehydration;
- Pregnant and lactating women;
- Against botulism.
Mechanism of action
The drug has a bacteriostatic effect. Neomycin is able to penetrate the bacterial cell through the membrane. There is binding on the 30S subunit of the ribosome antibiotic with certain receptor proteins. As a result, the production of matrix and transport RNA is disrupted, the synthesis of proteins ceases.
The use of neomycin in high concentrations leads to damage to the cytoplasmic membrane of microbial cells, which provokes the death of a pathogenic agent. Antibiotic inhibits activity:
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae;
- E. coli;
- Bacillus anthracis;
- Various strains of salmonella;
- Streptococcus pneumoniae;
- Proteus spp.
Instructions for Use
When used topically in the form of a cream or eye or ear drops, the dosage is adjusted individually, based on the clinical picture and the age group of the patient.
Tablets are taken orally. Patients over 12 years of age are prescribed 1 g once, in children from 6 to 12 years, a single dosage of 0.25-0.5 g. The course of treatment is up to 7 days.
Side effects of
In the local area, the following symptoms are noted:
- Redness of the skin;
- Allergic reactions;
- Itching and burning;
- Appearance of rashes;
- Swelling of the skin;
- Development of contact dermatitis.
During oral administration, it is possible:
- Increased level of bilirubin in the blood stream;
- Granulocytopenia, anemia;
- Numbness of some parts of the body;
- Temperature rise;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Involuntary muscle contractions;
- Hypertension or hypotension;
- Development of epilepsy;
- Weight loss;
- Development of stomatitis or secondary infections;
- Decreased level of calcium and magnesium in the bloodstream;Headaches, apathy, drowsiness.
The antibiotic is nephrotoxic, so there may be a micturition, thirst, precipitation and protein in urine, an increase in plasma urea and creatinine concentrations.
Exceeding the therapeutic dosage leads to a decrease in neuromuscular conduction, so that breathing may stop. Therapy of the condition in adults involves the introduction of Proserin, calcium preparations, Atropine. In childhood, an overdose is treated with the administration of calcium preparations, carrying out artificial ventilation. In some cases, hemodialysis is indicated.
During pregnancy, neomycin is allowed for life reasons, because the drug has nephro- and ototoxic effects on the fetus. The ability of the drug to excrete with breast milk is not established. However, doctors do not prescribe an antibiotic against lactation.
With care appoint Neomycin to people who have pathologies of internal organs, a history of hearing loss. The antibiotic does not affect the ability to manage complex mechanisms, perform work that requires increased concentration.
With the simultaneous administration of neomycin and chenodeoxycholic acid, there is an increased release of cholesterol with bile. Antibiotic is able to reduce the absorption rate of methotrexate, drugs from the group of cardiac glycosides, vitamins B12, A. This can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of the listed facilities.
Neomycin in the form of an ointment has positive reviews. The drug effectively eliminates itching, inflammation. However, the antibiotic in the form of tablets is poorly tolerated by patients, causing allergies, hearing loss, impaired kidney function. That is why at the present time, neomycin in tableted form is applied in a limited way.
Prices for Neomycin
The cost of the drug varies from 237 to 525 rubles, depending on the region of the country and the form of release.
Possible substitutes for the preparation:
- Colimycin sulfate;
You can buy Kanamycin( 13-70 rubles) and Amikakin( 32-66 rubles).
medication Synonymous antibiotics are:
- Neomycin sulfate.
A prescription is required to purchase an antibiotic-aminoglycoside.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The product is stored at a temperature of no higher than 25 degrees. Storage time - no more than 3 years.