Fungal diseases are especially unpleasant because many people live and do not know that they have a similar problem. These diseases have a mass of pathogens, which are sometimes poorly recognized. Treatment for this reason is lingering with the testing of several drugs. Terbinafine is a new generation medicine that can destroy fungal infections of various origins.
Features of the drug
In the media there is no advertising of this drug. If the doctor prescribed it, then the recipe will most likely have a Latin name - Terbinafinum. The drug copes with fungal infections of the skin, nails, hair.
In the classification of antifungal agents, terbinafine is part of the group of allylamines( derivatives of N-methylnaphthalene).The main active substance has the same name of the drug - Terbinafine.
An antifungal agent is manufactured by several pharmaceutical companies that offer it in the form of:
- tablets ( 125 and 250 mg, packaged in contiguous cell packs of 7 and
10 pieces, in carton packs)
- ointments ( 10, 15 and30 g in aluminum tubes, in cartons)
- cream ( 10, 15 and 30 g in aluminum tubes, in cartons)
- spray or solution ( 10, 20 g in glass bottles, clogged with crimping microsprayers, equipped with nozzles foratomizedI and protective caps are sold in cartons)
cream, ointment, spray, topically applied solution. They form a thin film on the skin, from which the active substance is absorbed into the skin. Penetration of the drug into the blood occurs in small doses.
Terbinafine is detailed in the video below:
Composition of terbinafine
Each terbinafine formulation has its own composition of auxiliary components and the concentration of the active substance:
| Dosage form || Concentration of active ingredient || Auxiliary components |
| Cream( per 1 ml) || 10 mg Terbinafine hydrochloride || Benzylalcohol, stearic acid, glycerol distilled, emulsifier, petroleum jelly, triethanolamine, water |
| Ointment( in 1 ml) || 10 mg Terbinafine hydrochloride ||Carbomer, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, liquid paraffin, sodium hydroxide, polysorbate, propylene glycol, water |
| Tablets( in 250 mg) || 250 mg Terbinafine hydrochloride || Monohydrate lactose, magnesium stearate, MCC, potato starch, aerosil, talc, impurity |
| Spray or solution1 ml) || 10 mg Terbinafine hydrochloride || Ethyl alcohol, propylene glycol, Macrogol 400, water |
Buy an antifungal agent Terbinafine can be obtained from a pharmacy or online store. Buy them is recommended by appointment of a doctor. But they are released without a prescription.
The price of a medicine varies depending on the manufacturer, region and many other factors. The average cost of the drugs is as follows:
- Tablets - 250 - 270 rubles for 7 pieces
- Cream and ointment - 50 - 55 rubles for a 15-gram tube
- Spray - 250 rubles per bottle 30 ml
Terbinafine is an antifungal drug with fungicidalproperties.
The drug has a harmful effect on fungi, causing diseases of the skin, nails, hair. It is also active against some yeast fungi. In small concentrations, Terbinafine works as a fungicide against mold fungi, dermatophytes and several species of dimorphic fungi.
Fungi perish from ergosterol deficiency and squalene accumulation caused by the inhibition of terbinafine biosynthesis by terbinafine inside the cells.
The preparation in the form of an ointment or cream is rapidly absorbed into the skin. High concentration is created in oily skin, hair and hair follicles quickly enough. Fungicidal properties appear after several weeks of the drug, when it accumulates enough in the nail plates.
The accumulation of terbinafine in the body has nothing to do with age. The drug regimen is not food-oriented. It is excreted from the body by the drug through the skin and together with the urine. The rate of excretion is affected by liver and kidney pathologies.
Terbinafine in the form of tablets is prescribed with:
- onychomycosis caused by dermatophytes
- mycosis of the head( scalp)
- fungal skin infections - dermatomycosis
- yeast skin infections
The preparation in the form of ointment, cream, spray, solution is used for treatment and prevention:
- mycosis stop
- skin lesions of the body
- inguinal epidermophytia
- diaper rash
Instruction for use
Take the pill and use the outdoor cfdstvami should, in accordance with the instructions or circuitry, designated doctor.
| Form of preparation || How to use |
| Tablets || Tablets should be drunk after a meal. Duration of admission and dose appoints a doctor in accordance with the severity of the disease and the location of infection. With onychomycosis treatment lasts from 6 to 12 weeks, with fungal skin infections - from 2 to 6 weeks. |
| Ointment, cream || Cream or ointment treat affected areas, previously washing and drying them. Daily norm of treatments - 1 - 2 times, depending on the type of infection. The course of therapy lasts up to 2 weeks at the discretion of the attending physician. |
| Spray || Spray is applied to pre-cleaned skin. The course of treatment depends on the type of infection and is usually 1 week. The number of treatments is up to 2 per day. |
For children and newborns
Terbinafine in tablets for children under three years of age with a body weight of less than 20 kg is not prescribed. For ingestion is sufficient once a day:
- over 3 years of age with a mass ranging from 20 to 40 kg - 125 mg
- over 3 years of age with a mass of 40 kg and above - 250 mg
In pregnancy and lactation
Terbinafine intablets did not pass clinical tests. Its effect on the intrauterine development of children is unknown. Therefore, women during gestation are prescribed medicine only in situations where its intended use is higher than the possible risk to the future baby.
Terbinafine is excreted along with the milk of the nursing mother. During the lactation period, the drug can not be used or it is necessary to stop breastfeeding if the effectiveness of other medicines is weak.
The drug has both absolute and relative contraindications:
| Absolute contraindications || Relative contraindications |
| Liver pathology |
Children under 3 years with a weight of up to 20 kg( tablets)
Children under 12 years( cream, ointment, spray)
Pregnancy and breastfeeding period
Aggravated susceptibility tothe contents of the drug
| Alcoholism |
Problems of bone marrow hematopoiesis
Problems of metabolism
Low permeability of the vessels of hands and nog
If there are relative contraindications, then the drug should be administered under the supervision of the treating doctor.
Side effects of
Sometimes unpleasant side effects can be observed with tablets:
- feeling of a full stomach or loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, in rare cases - a violation of liver functions
- arthralgia, myalgia
- headaches, taste changes
- urticaria, pruritus, rash, relapse of psoriasis
- lupus erythematosus
With external use of terbinafine, the following troubles may occur:
- pruritus, burning, irritation, pain, redness
- sometimes - eye irritation when using spray
There is no overdose of topical drugs. When an overdose of tablets should take measures to remove the drug from the body - rinse the stomach and take activated charcoal.
- Non-observance of the scheme of application and early suspension of treatment can cause the development of relapse.
- The duration of therapy depends on the presence of background diseases.
- 2 weeks is the period when the patient's condition improves. If it does not, you should undergo an additional examination to determine the causative agent of the disease.
- In some cases, the use of the drug is justified by the ineffectiveness of using other medications.
- During the therapy with terbinafine, hygiene rules should be followed to avoid secondary infection with the infection.
Interaction with other medications
- Disrupts the metabolism of certain drugs, including antidepressants and β-blockers
- Derivation of terbinafine is enhanced by interaction with rifampicin
- Cimetidine reduces the rate of elimination and metabolism of terbinafine
- Oral contraception with simultaneous administration of terbinafine disrupts menstrual cycle
- Suctionand excretion of the drug when interacting with caffeine
- Liver involvement can occur when interactingand with ethanol
There is no data on the drug interaction of terbinafine with external application.
Most of the responses to Terbinafine are positive. Adverse reactions and overdoses are rare. The positive effect with the use of different forms of the drug occurs when the correct adherence to the drug regimen.
Drugs of similar action contain the active ingredient Terbinafine:
The terbinafine and its analogues from the fungus will tell this video: