The drug has bactericidal and antimicrobial properties. The mechanism of action of Fortum is the ability to break the cell walls of pathogenic microorganisms, which leads to their death.
The spectrum of action of the drug extends to gram-positive, gram-negative and anaerobic bacteria. Resistant to its action methicillin-resistant staphylococci.
After the intramuscular injection in the blood, its therapeutic concentration is observed in a few minutes. It lasts up to 12 hours.
The active substance, which has a harmful effect on foreign aggressive microorganisms, penetrates into the heart tissue, bone tissue, sputum, bile, intraocular fluid, synovial, pleural, peritoneal fluid. The medicine is able to penetrate the placenta. Ceftazidime is found in breast milk.
About 90% of the drug is excreted within a day from the body with the help of the kidneys, the rest - with bile.
In dermatology Fortum is used to treat such skin infections as:
- wound infections
- skin ulcer
In other areas of medicine:
| Scope || Diseases |
| Infectious diseases of the respiratory system || Bronchitis, pneumonia, pleural empyema, infected bronchiectasis, lung abscess and others |
| ENT infections || Otitis media of the middle ear, external malignant otitis, sinusitis and others |
| Infectious diseases of the urinary system || Pyelitis, pyelonephritis, cystitis, prostatitis, urethritis, renal abscess, infections with kidney and bladder stones found |
| Joint and bone infections || Septic arthritis, osteomyelitis |
| Gastrointestinal infections || Gallbladder empyema, cholangitis, cholecystitis, peritonitis, retroperitoneal abscess, enterocolitis, diverticulitis |
| Sexual infection || Gonorrhea |
| Other diseases || Dialysis related infections, meningitis, sepsis |
Instruction for use
The drug is intended for intramuscular and intravenous administration. Dose and treatment is calculated by the attending physician, taking into account the complexity of the course of the disease, the age of the patient and the condition of his kidneys.
To prepare injection solutions, use a solution of 5% glucose or sodium chloride 0.9%.For intramuscular injections, lidocaine 0.5% or 1% is usually used.
Patients are injected from 1 to 6 g of the drug per day for 2 to 3 times. According to an individual scheme, a doctor can prescribe injections according to one of the following schemes:
- 1 gram of Fortum every 8 hours
- 2 grams of Fortum every 12 hours
For a complex course of the disease or concomitant immunodeficiency, a daily dose of 6 grams is allowed for adult patients.
For children and newborns
- For newborn babies and infants for up to 2 months, the drug is prescribed based on body weight - from 25 to 60 mg per kilogram of body weight. This daily dose is divided into two injections.
- For children older than two months of age, the Fortum daily norm is 30 to 100 mg per kilogram of body weight and is intended for 2 to 3 injections. The norm can be increased to 150 mg per kilogram of body weight on an individual basis with meningitis, cystic fibrosis and weak immunity.
In pregnancy and lactation
If there is a strong indication, it is possible to prescribe the drug to women in the first weeks of pregnancy and nursing mothers.
The drug has a number of contraindications:
- intolerance of drug components
- renal failure
- increased risk of reducing blood clotting
Possible adverse effects of the drug:
| Organs and body systems || Possible side effects |
| Digestive system || Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, abdominal pain, candidiasis of the oral mucosa and pharynx |
| Hematopoietic system || Leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytosis, eosinophilia, hemolytic anemia( erythrocyte destruction, thrombocytopenia, lymphocytosis, agranulocytosis |
| CNS || Change in sensations of taste, tremor, dizziness, headache, encephalopathy, myoclonia, coma |
| Excretory system || Development of renal pathology, Creatine and urea blood levels |
| Allergic manifestations || Urticaria, fever, Quincke's edema, toxic epidermal necrolysis, lowering of pressure, bronchospasm |
| Local reactions || Swelling, pain, burning at the injection site, phlebitis, thrombophlebitis |
| Other possible problems || Vaginitis candidiasis, indirect Coombs reaction |
- If undesirable side effects occur, the drug should be discontinued.
- In case of renal failure, the dose calculated per day should be reduced. This is due to the fact that a large percentage of the drug is excreted from the body by the kidneys.
- With prolonged use of Fortum, the growth of resistant microorganisms may increase. In this case, the use of the drug is suspended.
Interaction with other drugs
- Fortum is not prescribed with nephrotoxic drugs, since the combination of these drugs has a negative impact on the kidneys.
- The risk of toxic effects on the kidneys increases with the interaction of Fortum with loop diuretics, aminoglycosides, Vancomycin, and Clindamycin.
- You can not use sodium bicarbonate to prepare the Fortum infusion solution.
- Do not concurrent use for therapeutic purposes of Fortum in conjunction with Heparin, Chloramphenicol.
On reviews of patients who have been treated with Fortum, the drug is effective where other drugs can not cope.
Doctors say that the drug is used exclusively in hospital under the supervision of a treating specialist, since the drug has a number of contraindications and can cause serious side effects.
Drugs that have a Fortum similar scope and structure:
- Ceftazidime Kabi
- Ceftazidime Alpes
- Ceftazidime Sandoz
- Ceftazidime Pfizer