As the body ages, many functions are disrupted. The work of the hearing organs is no exception. Hearing loss is often observed in elderly people. To cope with this problem and normalize the quality of life, you can use hearing aids. It is important to remember that this device can only be prescribed by a doctor.
Indications for hearing aids
The main symptoms that confirm the need for a hearing aid in an elderly person include the following:
- Loss of ability to respond normally to high frequency sounds that were previously audible without particular problems.
- Age processes that lead to a narrowing of the ear canal. They can also provoke a thickening of the tympanic membrane.
- Appearance in the ears of extraneous sounds that provoke uncomfortable sensations.
There are some contraindications, which are a significant limitation to the use of such devices:
- inflammation in the middle or inner ear;
- problems with motor hand;
- eczema of the dermis of the auditory organs;
- dysfunction of the vestibular apparatus.
Tips for choosing a device for the elderly person
When choosing a hearing aid for an elderly person, you need to take into account a lot of parameters. Thus, devices with a directional microphone will suit patients who lead a solitary lifestyle. It is better to choose an omnidirectional device for active people.
Of no small importance is the type of hearing aid. So, analog devices belong to the category of budget devices, which do not require computer regulation and adjustment, taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism. Inexpensive devices are suitable for people who can not go to a specialized clinic.
A characteristic feature of such devices is the absence of an element that suppresses noise. Therefore, they should not be used by people who have a mild degree of hearing loss and suffer from migraines of different origins.
Digital devices can be adapted to the individual characteristics of the patient's body. With their help, it is possible to distinguish human speech among the rest of the mass of sounds. In addition, such devices can adapt to a certain sound environment.
Depending on localization, hearing aids are also divided into several categories - BTE, intracanal, pocket and in-the-ear. Of course, the intracanal and in-the-ear devices are convenient. Moreover, they are almost invisible to others. However, for elderly patients, other parameters are important.
First of all, such people often have sulfur fuses. Therefore, the use of intracanal or in-ear devices will become problematic. Sometimes they can even do harm. This is due to pushing the plug through the ear canal, which will only exacerbate the situation.
In addition, the motor skills of elderly patients' hands are disrupted. Because they experience difficulties with the use of small devices. Another difficulty is the need for special care and compliance with all rules of use.
Types of hearing aids for the elderly
Things to consider
When choosing a hearing aid for elderly patients, it is important to consider the following features:
- Control type. It is rather difficult for older people to learn new devices. Therefore it is desirable to buy a device with electronic programming. Manual control in this case will not work. Thanks to the automatic program, the hearing aid itself can evaluate the auditory features, which will ensure maximum audibility.
- Adjusts the volume. Elderly people will use automatic devices. If this function is not available, you should choose the most convenient volume control. A man of old age simply can not rotate a barely noticeable wheel. This can provoke discomfort and even progression of the disease.
- The lifetime of the power supply. An elderly person can not change batteries frequently. Therefore, it is desirable to choose a device that can operate for a long time without changing the power source. Separate types of BTE devices can work 2-3 weeks. In-and intrachannel devices require more frequent replacement of batteries - every 5-7 days.
- Power. In elderly people, there is usually a significant and persistent hearing loss. Therefore, they show devices with such power that will provide the required amplification of sounds both now and subsequently. If the device is bought for several years, it should have a good reserve. Therefore, experts advise buying devices with high or medium power.
- Feedback suppression. Due to the presence of this system, it is possible to minimize the risk of whistling. In the elderly, he often provokes discomfort and headaches.
- Noise reduction. Elderly people are recommended devices that can suppress noise. Thanks to this, it will be possible to provide good speech recognition. In addition, the noise in people with hypertension can provoke an increase in pressure and headaches.
- Microphones. It is difficult for pensioners to concentrate their hearing on the source of sounds. If the device has an adaptive microphone system, they automatically go to the source of the sounds.
- Compression system. Due to its presence, sound enhancement is provided. As a result, the volume of only quiet sounds increases, while the intense ones remain the same. This will avoid discomfort.
The design of the
hearing aid The best models of the
At present, there are many devices that will suit people of old age. The most famous and high-quality models include the following:
- Siemens bridge 12 HP.This device is great for people with severe hearing loss. It can also be used by patients who have hearing disorders only at a considerable distance. This device amplifies the sound signal to 60 dB.Also, it can suppress noise, which is very important for elderly patients. The device has 12 programs. It has compact dimensions and light weight. The device is fairly easy to use.
- Siemens Motion 301. This unit has many functions that are useful for the elderly. First of all, they include a manager of speech and noise. Its use makes it possible to make the speech more precise. In addition, the device makes it possible to suppress sharp sounds that can frighten a person. Also, the device has a multi-channel adaptive system, including directional microphones. This helps to identify the sound source and focus on it.
- Bernafon 3 CP / Cpx. This model also has useful functions for old people. Since the device has the ability to automatically adjust in any conditions, it helps to prevent discomfort in a heightened noise environment. This device makes speech much more legible.
- Phonak Cassia SP.This BTE device makes sounds more understandable and helps to cope with third-party noises. In addition, the presence of directional microphones helps to easily identify the source of sound.
- Oticon Get. This is an inexpensive device that has a whole range of useful qualities. Thanks to the use of the method of open prosthetics, sound becomes natural, which helps to avoid unpleasant sensations. As a result of using the device, third-party noises are suppressed, and speech becomes more intelligible. Also, the device has several modes of directivity, which makes it possible to adapt to the surrounding environment.
What types of hearing aids are best for older people, see in our video:
Hearing aids make it possible to make human speech more intelligible and to suppress noise, which significantly improves the quality of life of an elderly person. It is important to remember that the device must be selected exclusively by a specialist after performing detailed diagnostics.