A child's hearing is considered normal when he is able to perceive spoken language at a certain distance:
- of low tones( 5 - 6 m);
- high tones( 20 m).
If a child hears ordinary speech at a distance of less than 1 meter, he is recommended to attend a special school intended for hearing impaired people.
Earlier, children were assigned hearing aids in the case when the child is hard of hearing( spoken speech is perceived at a distance of less than 1 meter).Now to this question is a completely different approach. Nowadays, the hearing aid can be prescribed to a child even with a lesser hearing loss, for example, with progressive 2 degree hearing loss.
Now not all hard of hearing children are sent to special schools, and the child is given a disability. In ordinary schools, now children can learn who have even greater hearing loss, but have received timely, high quality hearing aid.
Hearing test is performed in newborns( 3 - 5 days from the moment of birth).The simplest way to diagnose is to monitor the doctor for the reaction to sound.
After detection of hearing impairment, the child should consult a specialist such as a hearing therapist. He also needs to visit the hearing anesthesia room. Experts believe that the child will be better if he will start using an auditory prosthesis earlier.
Absolute indication for the appointment of a hearing care child is considered to be a significant hearing loss:
- 3 degree of hearing loss;
- 4 degree of hearing loss.
The hearing aid can also be assigned with one-sided deafness. Hearing aids sometimes act as an auxiliary temporary method of improving hearing in the presence of congenital anomalies in the development of the ear( middle, outer).These devices are used before the solution of the problem by surgical means.
Reviews and recommendations of doctors on pediatric hearing care:
Features of hearing aids for children
A selection of the hearing aid is performed taking into account the data that the doctor received during audiometric examination. Choose the right hearing aid from a wide range at the moment will not be difficult for a specialist. The doctor must adjust the settings of the device depending on the results of the pedagogical examination, observation of the parents.
When choosing a device, it is necessary to take into account such nuances:
- auditory insert( standard, individual);
- number of devices( 1, 2);
- form of the apparatus( in-the-ear, behind-the-ear).
Specialists believe that the hearing aid, made to fit the individual characteristics of the child, is much better than the standard one. Its advantages are comfort, tightness, reliable fixation. And all these nuances affect the acoustics of the device.
Photo of children with hearing aids
How to choose
To choose and buy a good hearing aid for a child, you must first determine the model. It can be behind-the-ear, in-the-ear. Each of the models has its advantages.
The hearing aid to be selected must meet a number of requirements:
- minimum distortion in the transmitted signal. Given this criterion, many prefer digital hearing aids;The
- should have a gain margin, which is necessary to compensate for the resonance of the auditory meatus( external);
- the ability to fine-tune the frequency, dynamic gain characteristics. The advantage was obtained by multichannel apparatuses;
- ability of the device to transmit without distortion speech of different loudness( quiet, loud);
- presence of flexibility of adjustment which is necessary for adaptation of adjustments to changing characteristics of hearing of the kid;
- availability of the constraint of the VUZ( output level of sound pressure).
The inner ear is almost invisible in the ear. Such devices are usually made for each patient individually. This takes into account the anatomical structure of the ear. But such a device is more demanding in the care.
There are also a number of contraindications to its use. It is not recommended if the patient has:
- abundant earwax;
- propensity to inflammatory processes in the external ear.
A significant disadvantage of this device is its frequent replacement due to the active growth of the child. A permanent in-ear hearing aid can be manufactured after 14 years, when the growth activity is significantly slowed down.
In-the-ear hearing aid
BTE can be used by children and adults. They are very easy to use, they are used by people with different degrees of hearing loss. They have a very attractive appearance. The price of such devices is lower than that of in-the-ear.
Such devices are often used in infants because of their simplicity, ease. They do not interfere with cleaning the ear canal.
Sometimes children feel embarrassed about wearing such a device. But they are recommended for young children since infancy due to such characteristics as: strength, lightness. The same devices are shown to children aged 1.5 - 2 years.
Intra-channel hearing aids are installed inside the external auditory canal. They are quite convenient to use. Their advantage is invisibility. They make such apparatuses on the impression of the ear, they repeat each curve of the ear canal.
Such a device a person can remove, put on. The drawback is the power limitation. They can compensate for hearing loss up to 60 - 80 dB.Another disadvantage is special care, which is necessary because of the aggressiveness of the environment. Maintenance of the device assumes the same actions as when caring for the in-the-ear devices:
- frequent replacements of sulfur filters;
- body replacement due to damage, with deformation of the ear canal;
- periodic cleaning of the device;
- drying of hearing aid.
Intrachannel hearing aid
How to accustom the child
The child should get used to wearing the hearing aid gradually. It is his habit to enter dressing this sutra device, after sleeping, taking it off before going to bed. In the process of getting used to this apparatus, an important place is occupied by such a factor as systematic.
Choosing a hearing aid for a child is not yet a complete solution to the problem. After the acquisition of the auditory prosthesis, a new problem arises, which consists in its mastering by the child, habituation to it.
There are times when a child refuses to wear an acquired hearing aid. In this case, you need to find out the reason. Probably a prosthesis interferes with something, causes discomfort. The reasons for the unwillingness to wear a hearing aid can be:
- the presence of a sharp edge on the product;
- poor device configuration;
- defect of the device, causing a feeling of discomfort inside the ear.
In order for the child to agree to wear the device, it is necessary to determine sooner, to eliminate the reason for refusing to use the device.
Popular video on the topic of hearing and hearing impairment in children:
Tips for parents
To help a child get used to their hearing aids, you must observe the following rules:
- You can not contact a child from a distance.from another room.
- You need to contact the baby on the side with which he wears the prosthesis( if he only has one hearing aid).
- When communicating with a child, remove any interference( TV, radio, noise on the street).
- Attend a child with a speech therapist and speech therapist.
- You need to talk clearly, naturally.
- You can not shout if a child hears you badly.
If you choose the right hearing aid, the child will get used to it very quickly, and in due course completely ceases to notice it. It is recommended to wear a hearing aid throughout the day. This helps the child's speech intelligibility, natural perception of the surrounding sounds.
When using hearing aids, you must follow simple rules:
- It is forbidden to put the device in water, a cleanser.
- It is recommended to wipe the machine daily with a soft cloth.
- Do not drop the machine.
- The device requires protection from moisture, heat.
- If you use a hairspray, remove the device.
- There is a note regarding the use of the device in electromagnetic fields.
With proper care, the hearing aid will provide your child with a normal life full of quality, natural sounds.