Paracetamol is an effective medication that has analgesic and antipyretic properties. In addition, the medicine has an unexpressed anti-inflammatory effect. In otolaryngology, it is used to reduce temperature and eliminate pain. The remedy has a minimum of side effects, and therefore is suitable even for children.
Indications for use
Most often, the remedy is used for minor and moderate pain. It can have a different origin. The medicine helps in such cases:
- rheumatic pain;
- discomfort in the muscles;
- pain in women;
- tooth disease;
- back injury;
The main ingredient of the drug is the eponymous component - paracetamol. The product is manufactured in various forms:
- tablets - can have a dosage of 200-500 mg;
- capsules - produced in the amount of 350, 500 mg;
- solution for infusion - the volume of the main substance is 10 mg / ml;
- coated tablets - include 325, 500 mg of the basic substance;
- syrup - it contains 30 m
g / ml of the active substance;
- suspension for internal use - contains 24 mg / ml paracetamol;
- suppositories - the dosage is in the range of 50-500 mg;
- soluble tablets - have a concentration of 500 mg;
- powder for making a solution - contains 650 mg of the main ingredient.
Schemes of application
The drug is suitable for oral use with water. This should be done 1-2 hours after eating. If you drink immediately, the effect will not come so quickly.
Adult patients and adolescents after 12 years of age in a single dose should drink 500 mg of the substance. Single volume should not exceed 1 g. You can consume the drug up to 4 times a day. Therefore, the maximum daily volume - 4 g. Therapy should last a maximum of 5-7 days.
In people who have Gilbert's syndrome or have impaired renal or hepatic function, the dosage is reduced and the periods between admission are increased. This is also true for elderly patients.
The use of the substance for children is dependent on age. The daily volume can be as follows:
- up to 6 months - 350 mg;
- up to 1 year - 500 mg;
- up to 6 years - 1000 mg;
- up to 9 years - 1500 mg;
- up to 12 years - 2000 mg.
Dosage in 1-3 months should be selected by a specialist, taking into account the characteristics of the body. The agent is divided into 4 divided doses. The periods between each reception are at least 4 hours.
Duration of therapy without medical consultation - 3 days when used as an antipyretic agent. If the medicine is used for anesthesia, the substance is consumed for 5 days.
At pregnancy it is possible to accept only after consultation with the attending physician.
Interaction with other drugs
When using a substance with inducers of hepatic enzymes, there is a danger of an increase in the harmful effects on the liver. The same applies to the combination of the drug with drugs that have a hepatotoxic effect.
Combination with anticoagulants leads to a slight increase in prothrombin time. If you take a substance with oral contraceptives, excretion of paracetamol occurs faster. As a result, there is a risk of reducing its analgesic effect.
If you drink a substance with uricosuric medicines, their effectiveness decreases. Combination with anticholinergic drugs leads to a decrease in the assimilation of paracetamol.
The use of a drug with activated charcoal leads to a decrease in the bioavailability of the anti-inflammatory agent. If you drink it with diazepam, there is a risk of a decrease in the excretion of the latter.
There are data on the possibility of increasing the myelodepressant effect of zidovudine if combined with paracetamol. A case of a complex form of liver damage has been documented. In medicine, there is also information on the harmful effects of paracetamol on the body when combined with isoniazid.
Combination of the drug with phenytoin or phenobarbital provokes a decrease in its effectiveness. This also applies to the combination with carbamazepine, primidon. These effects are associated with increased metabolism and excretion. Examples of hepatotoxicity in the combination of paracetamol and phenobarbital are documented.
If the colestramine is used for an hour after taking paracetamol, the absorption of the analgesic may be reduced. If you take it with lamotrigine, there is a moderate increase in excretion of the latter from the body.
The combination with metoclopramide provokes an increase in the uptake of paracetamol. As a result, its concentration in the blood rises. If you combine the drug with probenecid, there may be a decrease in the rate of excretion of paracetamol.
Admission with sulfinpyrazone or rifampicin on the contrary provokes an increase in the clearance of the analgesic. This is due to the growth of its metabolism. When combined with ethinyl estradiol increases the absorption of paracetamol from the intestine.
Pediatrician reviews on the use of paracetamol:
Side effects of
Drug use may cause undesirable effects:
- If the hematopoietic system is affected, there is a risk of developing leukopenia, anemia. Agranulocytosis, methemoglobinemia, thrombocytopenia can also be observed.
- When the excretory system is damaged, there is a threat of glomerulonephritis, renal colic, aseptic pyuria.
- The nervous system reacts to the use of the drug with increased drowsiness or excitability.
- With cardiac and vascular damage, there is a risk of reducing heart contractility.
- Organs of digestion can respond to the use of paracetamol with nausea and pain in the epigastric region. If you use the product for a long time, you can observe the harmful effects on the liver.
- When an allergy occurs, rashes on the skin, itching sensation. In difficult situations, angioedema develops.
Paracetamol is not allowed to use with high sensitivity to it. Contraindication is the lack of kidney and liver .If there is a need for rectal suppositories, it is worthwhile to monitor the absence of inflammation in the rectum.
The main advantages of the drug include:
- A marked decrease in temperature. This action is as close as possible to a natural decrease in temperature.
- Long-term use. Side effects are rare, because it can be safely applied for a long time.
- Selective action. Due to this, a minimum of side effects is observed.
- Rapid excretion of metabolites.
- Low cost.
The medicine should be stored in a place inaccessible to children. The temperature should not be more than 25 degrees.
Price for Paracetamol
The cost of the medicine depends on the volume of the main component and the form of release. The price range is 20-100 rubles.
Video instruction on the use of paracetamol:
The following can be attributed to effective analogues of the remedy:
Paracetamol is an effective remedy that quickly reduces temperature and relieves pain. It is often prescribed by otolaryngologists to combat manifestations of ENT diseases. With this self-medication is not worth it, because there is a threat of negative consequences.