Neurodermatitis disease is a chronic inflammatory process in the skin, which is of a neuro-allergic nature. The prevalence of this disease is 40% of the total number of all skin diseases.
They are often sick with children, and the disease, as a rule, disappears during puberty. For the first time, the symptoms of neurodermatitis a have been described in 891 and have been seen as an ailment of the skin that occurs after scratching the itchy areas.
Itching areas of the skin are quite healthy, because the problem is not in the skin, but in the resulting itching. In the process of permanent scratching, the skin becomes more rough and covered with scales. If you stop combing your skin, it will return to normal after a while - it depends on the severity of the neurodermite. Damage to the skin can lead to inflammation and bacterial infections of its upper layers.
Today we will talk about neurodermatitis, the symptoms and treatment of this disease will be considered in this article.
Causes of neurodermatitis
Despite many years of studying the problem of neurodermatitis, there are still a lot of "white spots" in its etiology and pathogenesis.
Maybe this is both an allergy to the material of pillows or household chemicals, and to animal hair and pollen of plants and the like. In adults, the disease can provoke poor working conditions or a very strong stressful situation.
The causes of neurodermatitis can be:
- predisposition to allergic reactions weighed down by heredity;
- any violations in the functional work of the central nervous system;
- stresses, depressive conditions;
- mental and physical overstrain;
- defective food;
- diseases of the digestive system;
- decreased immunity;
- intoxication of the body;
- foci of various chronic infections.
Psychogenic factors, intoxications, endogenous and exogenous irritants, endocrine disorders, pregnancy, lactation, etc. can serve as an impetus to the beginning and progression of the neurodermatitis. Most often there is a neurodermatitis on the hands, which is treated according to the doctor's prescription.
There are 7 main types of neurodermatitis, the symptoms of each form are somewhat individual.
- Limited - occurs in small areas of the skin. In this skin manifestations have the appearance of plaques consisting of small papules. The skin itself becomes dry, coarse, and as if sprinkled with flour.
- Diffuse - characterized by rashes in large numbers and the ability to occur at any age. For inflammation is characterized by symmetrical areas of the skin, located on the neck, face, knee and elbow folds, the inner thighs, chest. Affected areas are endowed with a grayish shade, combing leads to the appearance of crusts and the formation of dense nodular formations.
- Hypertrophic - characterized by the manifestation of tumors in the inguinal zone.
- Linear - marked by itching strips on the limb folds.
- Psoriatic form - stands out seated on the head and neck with dense reddened foci, covered with crushed scales.
- Follicular - characterized by pointed papules on the scalp.
- Decalving - manifests itself on the scalp with subsequent alopecia.
Symptoms of neurodermatitis
In the case of neurodermatitis, the first symptom is the appearance of a rash and severe itching in the neck. Then it spreads to the forehead, cheeks, eye lids and mouth area. The next places of localization of the rash and pruritus are the area of genital organs and buttocks, elbows and knee folds.
The skin on the diseased areas acquires a red tint and gradually begins to peel off. In neglected cases of the disease on the skin appear tiny bubbles, leaving behind a thin, dried crust of skin.
Sometimes itching from neurodermatitis is so strong that a person can not control himself and combs all the inflamed skin, which, as a rule, begins to get wet, but quickly dry up. Neurodermatitis on the hands causes a lot of trouble due to moisture, as well as mechanical effects, which leads to aggravation of the disease.
Symptoms of neurodermatitis are more pronounced in winter, as well as in the evening, and by the summer symptomatology is relieved.
This ailment has a negative effect on the function of the adrenal glands of the patient, so his skin may be slightly darkened. The constant companions of neurodermatitis are fatigue, apathy to the surrounding world, weakness, lowering of blood pressure and lowering of blood glucose level. Neurodermatitis can cause inflammation of the lymph nodes and a number of other diseases.
Prevention of neurodermatitis is reduced to adherence to a rational diet, which involves the rejection of acute, smoked, alcoholic beverages and the like. An important role is played by timely diagnosis and treatment of diseases that can cause neurodermatitis( nerve diseases, diseases of the digestive tract, endocrine system).
The medication for neurodermatitis is antiallergic( claritin, suprastin, zirtek, etc.) and sedatives( tincture of motherwort, valerian, novopassit).
To facilitate itching, the doctor advises using ointments containing hormones, for example, hydrocortisone ointment. Such ointments can be used for a long time.
If you want to achieve success, and really cure neurodermatitis on the hands or other parts of the body, a single medication may not be enough. It is important to observe the following rules:
- Observe the daily routine: limit physical and mental loads, sleep well and eat well.
- It's a good time to rest. A good holiday in the seaside resort.
- Tempering and taking a complex of vitamins and minerals matched by a doctor. These measures will help to strengthen immunity, as well as reduce the symptoms of neurodermatitis.
- Avoid stressful conditions.
- To be optimistic about life.
If all previous methods do not help and your condition only worsens, a doctor with neurodermatitis may prescribe hormonal therapy for oral administration and physiotherapy procedures. Do not forget that it is possible to treat neurodermatitis with folk remedies, use: decoction of herbs for soothing itching( chamomile, St. John's wort), ointments and creams. Before using such medications, always consult your doctor.
Neurodermatitis is not a dangerous disease, but can cause the development of skin infections, the spread of which contributes to constant combing.
How to treat neurodermatitis with folk remedies
Traditional medicine has a long, age-old experience in treating neurodermatitis. With the permission of the attending physician, you can use self-prepared, natural ointments that rub into the damaged skin, and use other methods:
- In case of a large lesion of the skin, baths with the addition of tinctures from chamomile, string and oak bark are taken.
- To moisturize dry skin, it is oiled or greased.
- Prepare special compresses that are applied to the affected areas of the skin. As ingredients use chamomile, calendula, cornflower, nettle, mint. Such compresses should be used until complete cure, otherwise the disease may return.
- In addition, with neurodermatitis, ointments with propolis, burdock, plantain are used.
- Often, medicinal tinctures of chamomile, mint, coltsfoot, marigolds are used as teas, preferably on an empty stomach, in order not only to eliminate inflammation, but also to strengthen the body.
In addition, in order to effectively treat the neurodermatitis at home, a diet with restriction of sharp and smoked products, salt, spirits is necessary.