Hearing impairment is considered a fairly common problem. To cope with these diseases help drugs and fizioprotsedury. However, in some cases it is impossible to do without surgical manipulation. One of such procedures is myringotomy. The doctor must decide on the need for it.
Myringotomy: the essence of
procedure Miringotogia is an operative intervention that is aimed at restoring normal pressure in the tympanum. Due to its carrying out it is possible to ensure the removal of fluid from the middle ear.
This manipulation is performed with a strong edema of the tympanic membrane, its bulging into the external ear, severe pain. Necessarily it is necessary to do mirinotomiju at complications of an average otitis or occurrence of an inflammation at newborns of children .
Thanks to the procedure, it is possible to prevent the appearance of perforation of the tympanic membrane. After the operation is completed, a small scar is formed, which does not create serious hindrances to the normalization of hearing.
Myringotomy of the tympanic membrane
Usually, the myringotomy is performed in such cases:
- A laboratory study of accumulated fluid, including an analysis of the causative agent of the disease.
- Eliminates the difference between pressure in the environment and the drum cavity. This is achieved by installing a tympanostomy tube. Due to this, it is possible to avoid recurrence of the disease and to prevent the accumulation of fluid in the middle ear.
- Hearing restoration, which was lost due to a large amount of fluid in the ear cavity.
- Treatment of infectious diseases.
After performing such an intervention, pain and pressure in the ear decrease. Also, hearing is restored.
Fluid accumulation in the middle ear
How is the
performed In order for the procedure to yield the desired results, it must be performed by a qualified physician. In this case, the patient must necessarily follow all the recommendations of a specialist.
At the preparatory stage, the doctor conducts such types of studies:
- blood tests;
- tympanogram - this test allows you to evaluate the response of the tympanic membrane to pressure changes;
- hearing evaluation;
- examination of the tympanic membrane and external ear by means of an otoscope.
Usually a week before the intervention, it is recommended to cancel such remedies:
- aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs;
- preparations that lead to the dilution of blood, in particular, warfarin or clopidogrel.
In most cases, this procedure is performed under general anesthesia. During the procedure the patient will sleep. Sometimes local anesthetic agents are used to anaesthetize the organ of hearing.
In the process of performing myringotomy, a small microscope is placed in the ear. This will allow the specialist to see his inner part. In the membrane, a microscopic incision is made through which fluid is withdrawn from the middle ear. Often, a tube is inserted into the incision, which helps to continue the drainage.
The incision is usually overgrown by itself. Additional intervention in this case is not required. Usually the procedure is performed immediately on two ears. Sometimes laser light is used to perform the manipulation, which helps to make a hole.
The procedure takes only 15-20 minutes. It is not accompanied by painful sensations, while anesthesia .After surgery, there may be a slight discomfort. To cope with it, you can take an anesthetic drug. Lidocaine drops are often prescribed to reduce pain.
How is myringotomy done using a laser:
Post-operative care and rehabilitation of
After performing such an intervention, it is necessary to adhere to medical recommendations:
- If cotton wool has been inserted into the external auditory hole to absorb the secretions, it must be systematically changed. Usually, the secretions disappear after 2-3 days.
- If the doctor prescribes ear drops, they must be used. It is usually recommended to administer these drugs three times a day for 3 days after the procedure.
- During the shower you need to use ear plugs. It is also recommended to refuse during the recovery period from diving and scuba diving.
- You should not drive at least 3-4 days after the intervention.
- It is not recommended to clean the ears after the procedure. Do not enter anything in them, except for cotton wool, drops and ear plugs.
Full recovery occurs in 4 weeks. If tubes were placed in the ear, they should fall out on their own in 6-12 months. Sometimes an additional operation is required to remove the tube.
Treatment after surgery
If myringotomy is performed to treat inflammatory damage to the hearing organ, it is very important to continue the medication prescribed by the doctor. Also, people's means and physiotherapy can speed up the process of reconstruction.
To cope with otitis media, a doctor can prescribe such remedies:
- antibacterial drugs - help prevent the spread of infection;
- antihistamines - effectively remove the mucosal edema;
- anti-inflammatory drugs - used in combination with vasoconstrictors.
To accelerate the restoration of hearing, you can use folk recipes. However, they can be used only after complete healing of the affected area, after consulting with a doctor:
- Lotions with camphor. On a large clove of garlic you need to take 3 drops of oil. The product should be left for 15 minutes, after which the mixture is applied to the turunda and placed in the affected ear.
- Tincture based on propolis and sage. To make a tincture of propolis, you need to take 100 g of alcohol for 10 g of raw materials. The composition is insisted for 10 days, periodically shaking. To make sage tincture, you need to mix a tablespoon of raw material and 100 ml of olive oil. The agent is kept on a steam bath for 2 hours. Both compounds must be filtered and mixed in this ratio: for 1 part of the propolis tincture, take 2 parts of the sage. The resulting mixture must be moistened with turundum from gauze and injected into the ear.
- Almond oil. This tool is recommended to inject into the ears of 1 drop. This is recommended before bedtime.
The type of physiotherapy directly depends on the severity of otitis media. The most common procedures include hormonal and enzyme electrophoresis.
But sometimes there is a need for endaural phonophoresis with the use of acetylcysteine. Phonophoresis of mastoid processes can also be performed. To perform it, use the enzyme hyaluronidase.
What can not be done
After carrying out the procedure, it is necessary to adhere to hygiene rules to prevent infection of the affected area. Also, it is strictly forbidden to swim in dirty bodies of water, since there is a threat of microbial penetration into the ear cavity. Doctors do not advise diving so that water does not get into the affected area.
Comments of doctors on myringotomy in otitis media:
Possible complications of
Negative effects of the procedure are very rare. However, in some cases there is a risk of such complications:
- lack of desired effect;
- hearing impairment;
- damage to other ear structures, in addition to the tympanic membrane;
- the need for re-intervention.
Alarming symptoms of
It is recommended to consult a doctor immediately if symptoms such as:
- symptoms of infection, including chills and fever in children;
- pain, which can not be stopped with prescribed painkillers;
- redness, swelling, build-up of pain syndrome;
- bleeding or discharge from the auditory canal;
- hearing impairment;
- presence of excreta more than 4 days after the procedure;
- appearance of cough, dyspnea, chest pain;
- severe nausea and vomiting;
- other unpleasant symptoms.
Mirindotomy is an effective procedure that allows you to cope with otitis and other diseases of the hearing organ .To achieve the desired results, it is very important to clearly follow all medical recommendations. If you have any suspicious symptoms, you should immediately seek medical help.