In the treatment of the urinary system, pharmacotherapy is actively used. One of the means is Furagin. Before taking the drug - it is recommended to first familiarize yourself with the rules of its administration.
Furagin is the name of an antimicrobial oral preparation of synthetic origin. Refers to the group of nitrofuran: it has an aromatic nitro group in its structure.
The drug is widely used in the treatment of diseases of the prostate, urinary system and infectious diseases of the reproductive system.
The active substance of the drug is furazidine.
Also in the composition of tableted Furagin are:
- of cellulose;
- magnesium stearate( stearic acid);
- tween( a substance that forms hydrophilic pores in the tablet);
The composition of Furagin in capsules includes( in addition to furazidine):
- titanium dioxide;
- quinoline dye.
In powder form, the auxiliary substance is sodium chloride.
Furagin is available in the following forms:
- Tablets. In one tablet - 50 mg. Packages of 10 tablets cost about 110-130 rubles, packing of 30 tablets - about 275-300.
- Capsules. The drug in this form is called Furagin-Aktifur.1 capsule contains 25 mg of furazidine. The package can be 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 45, 50, 60, 75, 80, 90, 100, 120 or 150 capsules. Packing for 30 capsules costs around 370-400 rubles.
- Powder. In this form, the drug is called Furasil. Produced in bags of 1 gram with the content of furazidine 100 mg. The price of packing( 15 bags) is about 470 rubles.
The drug in tablets and capsules is dispensed by prescription. Powder form - OTC.
Principle of action
The active substance( furazidine) inhibits the activity of the tricarboxylic acid cycle and other biochemical processes in harmful microorganisms. As a consequence, this leads to the destruction of the envelope of pathogenic cells.
Absorption occurs in the distal small intestine. When taking a single dose of 200 mg in blood plasma, the maximum concentration of furazidine is reached after half an hour. At the maximum level, it is held for about an hour, after which it starts to decrease smoothly. Bacteriostatic concentration persists 8-12 hours after administration.
Furagin is excreted by the kidneys, by channel secretion. About 8-13% of the active substance enters the urine.
The drug is prescribed for use:
- Infectious diseases: cystitis, urethritis, purulent arthritis, purulent wounds.
- Inflammatory processes in the organs of the female reproductive system.
Also Furagin is prescribed for the prevention of infections in urological operations( catheterization, cystoscopy).
Outwardly the drug can be prescribed for burns, conjunctivitis, keratitis, vulvovaginitis and fistula - as an antimicrobial and antiseptic.
Instruction for use
The standard course of treatment with Furagin lasts 7-10 days. Repetition is possible 10-15 days after the end of the previous course.
The drug is taken orally, adults in a dosage of 50-200 mg, 2-3 times a day.
Children dosage is calculated based on weight: 5 mg per 1 kilogram. The child should take the drug with protein food and plenty of water. In addition, the course of treatment in children may include the intake of B vitamins.
To prevent the recurrence of diseases of the urinary system, 1-2 tablets are prescribed once a day.
During the course of treatment it is necessary to exclude alcoholic beverages from use. Otherwise, the chance of side effects increases, and the effects themselves become worse.
On the video about the use of the drug Furagin:
Side effects of
- Gastrointestinal tract: vomiting, nausea, worsening of appetite, impaired liver function, diarrhea( or vice versa constipation).
- CNS: headaches, dizziness, polyneuritis, drowsiness, visual impairment.
- Allergic reaction( rash, itching).
- malaise, chills, fever.
In case of an overdose, there may be tremors( trembling of the hands, head, tongue), ataxia( impaired coordination of movements).
The most common is a "harmless" manifestation - a headache. According to statistics, this side effect is manifested in about 1 case out of 100. Other symptoms with observance of dosage are less frequent.
Contraindications to the use of Furagin are:
- disorders of kidney or liver function;
- hypersensitivity to furazidine;
- pregnancy( starting at week 38) and lactation;
- age under 1 year( external application - up to 1 month).
The possibility of taking and dosage is individually decided when there is a shortage of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
The preparation should be stored in a dry, dark place at temperatures up to + 25º.
To prevent the development of neuritis - the intake of B vitamins can be prescribed.
Furagin analogues are issued under the following names:
In general, the drug has positive reviews from both doctors and patients undergoing treatment. Side effects are recorded relatively rarely, rather as an exception. Both doctors and patients appreciate the drug not only for its effectiveness and a small list of contraindications, but also for comparative cheapness.