This phenomenon, like diarrhea, can occur due to functional disorders of the digestive organs or develop as a consequence of some serious organic pathologies. An upset stomach and a loose stool lasting several days are fraught with the occurrence of various complications, as an adult or a child disrupts the normal process of digestion. In the event that the patient does not stop persistent diarrhea, he must urgently consult a doctor to avoid the occurrence of severe consequences.
Permanent diarrhea contributes to stopping the intake of sufficient amounts of nutrients, and the worst thing is that dehydration may occur due to a reduction in the amount of water necessary for normal life. This pathological factor, almost always caused by the fact that the loose stool in an adult is constantly, very dangerous. With this form of diarrhea, the patient's ability to adequately behave is lost.
Also, constant diarrhea is always accompanied by the intake of harmful substances into the body, due to digestive disorders. If the patient has such a pathological sign as a prolonged diarrhea, which is accompanied by a temperature, increased gas production, nausea, intermittent vomiting and abdominal pain, you should immediately consult a doctor without relying on self-medication.
Why does permanent diarrhea occur in an adult?
When the liquid stool lasts a long time, a rather serious reason contributes to this. Finding it out is the prerogative of a doctor. Here are some of the prerequisites of the disease:
- Lactose intolerance. Diarrhea in this case constantly occurs after drinking a glass of milk. The disease is due to the fact that the patient's body is not able to process lactose. This is one of the most common causes of permanent loose stools in adults;
- Constantly develops an upset stomach also with glucone enteropathy. In this case, the digestive organs can not process gluten contained in wheat, which provokes diarrhea;
- IBS is another factor that always contributes to the development of diarrhea. In this case, the stomach of the patient not only hurts, it still constantly turns. Gas formation is usually moderate, but nausea, vomiting and fever with this disease are almost not observed. There is a constant diarrhea in this case because of a person's exposure to stressful situations.
In addition to these reasons, the development of this symptomatology can be influenced by microbial infections, Crohn's disease, symptomatic diseases and even oncology of the digestive organs.
Permanent diarrhea in the elderly person
It is often possible to hear from patients and such a question, why can an elderly person develop this condition, and what is his danger? The functioning of the intestines of elderly people is greatly influenced by the volume of liquid being drunk, the diet and the medications taken. In addition, the appearance of permanent diarrhea in an elderly person is influenced by such reasons as:
- The appearance of a permanent liquid stool is always promoted by "neurogenic" factors. They are associated with disorders of the nervous system, such as dementia, multiple sclerosis, etc.;
- An indirect cause of persistent diarrhea can be physical illnesses that limit the patient's mobility;
- Psychological and emotional factors also affect the appearance of a permanent indigestion. It's no secret that in the old age very often there are conditions of depression and anxiety, which contribute to the violation of intestinal peristalsis.
The danger of prolonged fluid stool in elderly people is the development of dehydration. And this process is much faster than in adult patients. When such disorders of the stomach occur, it is always necessary to consult a specialist. In addition, patients of this age group should increase fluid intake, which will help replenish the water-salt balance, which is impaired due to problems with the stool.
Persistent diarrhea and accompanying symptoms
Together with prolonged diarrhea, there is a whole complex of syndromes that can be shared or separated from each other. When conducting a check, you need to tell the doctor about any associated pathology symptom, as this will help you choose the right treatment. Here are the main signs that accompany this ailment:
- Most often there are pain sensations in the epigastric region, the patient constantly turns abdomen and diarrhea. Such symptoms may indicate the development of various serious organic diseases, for example, Crohn's disease. Also, the stomach aches along with the liquid stool and toxicological poisoning with alcoholic beverages. In this case, the stomach also twists;
- It happens that the liquid stool begins to be accompanied by nausea, which can go into vomiting. This usually occurs in the case of food, alcohol, or drug poisoning. Constant vomiting and diarrhea are very dangerous, since with such symptoms the greatest likelihood of dehydration appears;
- In the case when the patient has a loose stool and gases, there is a constant swelling in the abdominal cavity and meteorism increases, it can speak of the development of a functional disorder of the intestine and stomach. Treatment in this case is appointed as standard, but only the attending physician should select it after carrying out the necessary studies;
- Constant diarrhea and temperature most often accompany infectious lesions of the gastrointestinal tract caused by viruses and bacteria. In the event that the temperature rises or, conversely, decreases, urgent consultation of a specialist is needed, as this may indicate the development of very serious pathologies.
Many people ask why intestinal dysfunction should be treated by a doctor, because diarrhea is often easily cured by domestic methods. Self-treatment can begin after consultation with a specialist, as it is necessary to find out what pathology is provoked, and only after that start targeted therapy.