One of the antibacterial drugs used systematically is "Augmentin".
Composition, form, package
The medication consists of:
- amoxicillin( it is represented by trihydrate);
- clavulanic acid( it is represented in the form of potassium salt).
Produced in different forms:
- tablets. At their creation, the following substances were used: silicon dioxide( colloidal anhydrous), sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide, cellulose( microcrystalline), dimethicone 500, magnesium stearate, macrogol, hypromellose( 5, 15 cps).
- Packed in 7, 10 tablets per blister. Inside the pack of such blisters( made of foil) there is a pair;
- powder. It is intended for the manufacture of an oral suspension. The following auxiliary substances are used: dry flavors( orange, light treacle, raspberry), succinic acid, colloidal silicon dioxide, xanthan gum, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, aspartame. Powder is contained inside the vials. The bottle is placed in a package made of cardboard.
Powder intended for the manufacture of a suspension is available in the UK( SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals).
Indications for use
Used in the therapy of infection:
- of the lower respiratory tract( bronchitis( chronic form), lobar pneumonia, bronchopneumonia);
- of the upper respiratory tract( sinusitis, otitis media, tonsillitis);
- urinary system( pyelonephritis, urethritis, cystitis);
- teeth( dentoalveolar abscesses);
- of joints, bones( osteomyelitis);
- genital organs in women;
- dermis, soft tissue( wound infections, animal bites, abscesses, burns, inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue);
- various infections( intra-abdominal, postpartum sepsis, septic abortion).
The medication is used in therapy, prevention of infectious complications that can occur in operations on the organs of the digestive tract, neck, head, pelvis, kidneys, joints, heart, bile ducts.
How to take the drug Augmentin:
- The level of sensitivity to the components of the drug is too high.
- Allergy, which can manifest as urticaria, erythematous rash.
- Failures in the functioning of the liver require the utmost care when using medicines.
Mechanism of action
Bacteriolytic effect noted. The drug exhibits activity to aerobic / anaerobic Gram-positive, aerobic Gram-negative microorganisms. It is very effective against strains that are capable of producing beta-lactamase.
Under the influence of clavulanic acid, the resistance of amoxicillin to the effect of a substance such as beta-lactamase is enhanced. In this case, the effect of this substance is broadened.
The drug is active against:
- Peptococcus spp.;
- Bacillus anthracis;
- Peptostreptococcus spp.;
- Enterococcus faecium;
- Streptococcus agalactiae;
- Vibrio cholerae;
- Listeria monocytogenes;
- Borrelia burgdorferi;
- Moraxella catarrhalis;
- Yersinia enterocolitica;
- Streptococcus pneumoniae;
- Bordetella pertussis;
- Proteus mirabilis;
- Peptococcus spp.;
- Leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae;
- Streptococcus pyogenes;
- Neisseria meningitidis;
- Treponema pallidum;
- Helicobacter pylori;
- Brucella spp.;
- Streptococcus viridans;
- Gardnerella vaginalis;
- Haemophilus influenza.
Instruction for use
Before prescribing a medication it is important to conduct a test that will show the sensitivity of the microflora that provoked the disease. Usually the specialist personally prescribes a dose. In doing so, it takes into account certain characteristics:
- infection localization;
- the complexity of the course of the disease;
- sensitivity of bacteria.
Babies less than a year can take drops:
- for children under 3 months is enough 0.75 milliliters;
- in small patients( 3 months - 1 g.) The dose is 1.25 milliliters;
- for patients from 3 months.and up to 12 liters.may recommend intravenous administration( 30 mg / kg body weight).This is in very serious cases. The administration of the drug should be repeated after 6 to 8 hours. If infants premature infusion should be repeated after 12 hours, then after 8 hours. Therapy can be performed for 14 days.
Patients under 12 years of age are prescribed a syrup, suspension. Dose( single dose) should be calculated individually, taking into account weight, age:
- 9 months.- 2 g. Prescribe thrice a day syrup 2.5 ml. The dose is allowed in 0.156 g / 5 ml;
- 2 - 7 years. Write out 5 milliliters. The dose is 0.156 g / 5 ml;
- 7 - 12 years. Prescribe 5, 10 milliliters. The dose is 0.156 g / 5 ml, 0.312 g / 5 ml;
- 12 years and adults. Write 1 tablet( 0.375 g) three times a day. If the situation is complicated by a dose increase, you need to take a medicine( 0.625 g) three times a day. It is admissible to inject the veins( 1.2 g).
Instructions for the use of the drug Augmentin:
Side effects of
There are cases of dyspepsia, may manifest:
- malfunction in the liver;
- exfoliative dermatitis;
- Quincke edema;
- pseudomembranous colitis;
- erythema multiforme;
- by Stevens-Johnson cider;
- anaphylactic shock;
- phlebitis in the area of administration.
Exceeding the allowable dose may trigger the occurrence of specific manifestations in the gastrointestinal tract. Excess medication is accompanied by a violation of the water-electrolyte balance. Crystalluria develops occasionally, kidney failure may develop on its background.
It is contraindicated for women in the use of the medication in question. Its use in such a situation can cause the development of newborns such pathology as necrotizing enterocolitis.
Breastfeeding is recommended to be interrupted for the duration of therapy with this medication. There is no specific information on the effect of active components on the breastfeeder. But it is known that substances are excreted into the mother's milk. They can provoke a baby diarrhea, a fungal infection on the mucous membranes.
It is allowed to use from two months.
Do not advise to use this medication with:
- probenecid. It significantly reduces tubular secretion of amoxicillin;
- with penicillins. The delay in excretion of methotrexate was noted. This substance affects the inhibition of tubular secretion. Accordingly, the toxicity of methotrexate may increase;
- with allopurinol. Allergies may develop;
- contraceptives( oral).Absorption of the hormone( estrogens) from the digestive tract is markedly reduced due to "Augmentin", which affects the intestinal microflora.
Patients leave positive feedback about the effect of this medication. It is especially often and successfully used by parents in the treatment of otitis media, influenza, or angina. But, at the same time, they note the manifestation of some side effects.
How to take Augmentin in breastfeeding:
Prices for "Augmentin"
The cost of medication in the form of a suspension varies from 140 to 250 rubles. The price is based on the volume of the drug.
The price of tablets is in the range of 250 - 365 rubles.
The specialist can offer to replace the medicine with any of its analogs:
- "Flemoklav Solutab".
- "Amoxiclav".Price 92.30 р.
- "Amoxiplyus Farmunion".The cost of powder is 83.18 p.
- "Bactoklav".The cost of 79.86 rubles.
- «Клавам» Price 69,18 р.
"Amoxil-K".The price of powder 37.22 p.
Synonyms of medication
In addition to analogues, a physician can prescribe synonyms for a medication:
Conditions for dispensing from pharmacies
Sold when giving a prescription.
Storage conditions and expiration date
It is recommended to store the package containing the medicine in a corner where the children will not reach it. It is necessary to select a dry place, the temperature in it should not be above 250C.For 7 - 10 days, you can store the finished suspension at a temperature of 2 - 8 degrees. A solution intended for intravenous administration should be used immediately after preparation.