Small-cell pulmonary oncology is considered a fairly common disease among men. This form of lung cancer in the early stages is difficult to determine, but if you find it in time and start treatment, the patient has every chance of favorable predictions.
Small cell lung cancer is characterized by increased malignancy, aggressive course and a tendency to extensive metastasis. Therefore, if you do not identify it in the early stages of progression and do not begin timely treatment, then the patient is waiting for a fatal outcome. The share of this cancer accounts for a quarter of the total number of pulmonary pathologies.
Concept of the disease
So, small cell lung cancer is a malignant tumor formation prone to rapid progression and extensive metastasis.
More common pathology is found in patients with stronger sex, although in recent years, the disease has become striking and a beautiful half, which is most likely due to the spread of nicotine dependence among women.
Small-cell pulmonary oncology is divided into two pathological forms:
- Small-cell carcinoma is a rather unfavorable oncology process, characterized by rapid and aggressive development with extensive metastases, therefore the only treatment option is combined polychemotherapy;
- Combined small cell carcinoma - this type of oncology is characterized by the presence of signs of adenocarcinoma in combination with the symptoms of squamous and oat cell cancer.
The main cause of pulmonary small cell oncology is tobacco smoking. The risk of developing such a pathology is largely determined by the age characteristics of the patient, the number of cigarettes smoked during the day, the smoking experience, etc.
The presence of nicotine dependence increases the likelihood of oncology in the lung tissue 16-25 times. In addition to smoking, the following can cause cancer:
- Pulmonary pathologies such as obstruction, tuberculosis, etc.;
- Unfavorable environmental conditions;
- Hereditary predisposition;
- Work on production with increased harmfulness.
The effect of radiation can also become a trigger factor for the onset of a cancerous tumor in the lungs.
As previously reported, pathology is rarely seen in the early stages of development, so it is found at the stage of active progression, accompanied by such symptomatic manifestations:
- The occurrence of an unexplained cough gradually worsening and not responding;
- Refusing to eat, losing weight;
- Propensity to frequent pulmonary pathologies such as pneumonia or bronchitis;
- Excessive fatigue and fatigue, dyspnea;
- Chest pain, prone to increased intensity with laughter, coughing, or deep breathing;
- Sudden temperature rises, right up to fever;
- With time, with coughing, mucous sputum begins to rust-brown or red, hemoptysis;
- Foreign whistling sounds during breathing.
Unusual signs of lung cancer, are told in this video:
With extensive tumor growth, there is additional symptoms such as ossalgia, jaundice, neurologic manifestations, swelling of supraclavicular and cervical lymph nodes.
Large dimensions of formation have a depressing effect on neighboring systems, causing additional soreness, puffiness of the face, swallowing problems, difficult hiccups, etc.
Stages and prognosis for small cell lung cancer
Small-cell forms of pulmonary cancer develop according to this scenario:
- Stage 1 - Oncology carries the localized nature of , the formation is located only in one part of the breast and the regional lymph node system. At this stage, the disease reacts positively to irradiation if its volume and intensity are matched correctly;
- Stage 2 is manifested by the generalization of the tumor process, which extends beyond the one half-cell half and regional lymph nodes, expanding throughout the body. In this case, the forecasts are more often unfavorable.
The diagnostic process is based on several research procedures:
- Laboratory Blood Test;
- Bronchoscopic procedure;
- Tumor biopsies;
- Radiographic study;
- CT or MRI, PET diagnosis.
Principles of treatment of
The basis of therapy of small cell forms of pulmonary cancer is the polychemotherapeutic principles of treatment. If the patient refuses such a measure, then his life will not last more than 16-17 weeks.
With localized cancer, usually 2-4 chemotherapy regimens are prescribed with the use of cytostatic drugs like Vincristine, Etoposide, Cyclophosphane, Doxorubicin, Cisplatinum, etc.
Such treatment is recommended to be combined with radiotherapy involving irradiation of primary tumor sites and lymph nodes. The combined approach to the therapy of small cell lung cancer contributes to the prolongation of the life of the cancer patient for 2 years.
If the small-cell tumor is widespread, then it is shown that at least 5-6 chemotherapy courses are conducted. If metastases penetrated bone, brain, adrenal structures, then they resort to radiation treatment.
Although small-cell lung cancer and is highly sensitive to polychemotherapy and radiation exposure, the likelihood of recurrence is quite high.
Lifespan of patients with
In the absence of proper therapy, pulmonary cancer will completely lead to death.
Predicting the life expectancy of patients with small cell lung cancer depends on the oncological process and the correctness of its therapy.
If small-cell lung cancer is detected at first pathology, then the number of survivors in the five-year period will be about 21-38%. If detected in the advanced 3.4 stages, the survival rate is a maximum of 9%.
If a tendency to decrease tumor parameters is observed during ongoing treatment, oncologists regard this phenomenon as a favorable sign, because the patient has good chances for a long life - with a partially remission result, the survival rate will be of the order of 50%, with a total of 70-90%.
disease An excellent measure of preventing pulmonary cancer is getting rid of nicotine addiction, and passive smoking should also be avoided. No less important is the prevention of pulmonary pathologies and all-organic infections.
It is necessary to include in the daily routine gymnastics, morning exercises, fitness or jogging. Such a measure will favorably affect the pulmonary system and help control your weight.
In the presence of addictions like the use of drugs or alcohol, it is recommended to get rid of them. If the profession is associated with the production of increased harmfulness, then it is necessary to comply with safety techniques and use individual protective equipment.
Video of the Scientific and Practical Conference on Small Cell Lung Cancer: