Eyes are often susceptible to external stimuli. Outwardly they will look just red and swollen, but for an allergic this condition will be a terrible punishment. Sometimes only eye drops from allergies help. There are too many of them on free sale now, so it is important to understand their types, and also to know the contraindications - to know exactly what will relieve the pain.
Symptoms of cat allergy
Treating allergies at home effectively and quickly
Allergic reaction to mandarins
Allergic reaction to gluten
List of allergy tablets
Eye allergy types
The most common eye diseases:
- spring catarrh;
- allergic dermatitis;
- angioedema( edema of Quincke);
- pollinous conjunctivitis( hay fever).
Recurrent disease affects only conjunctiva and cornea. The allergy appears seasonally, in the spring or in the autumn, in people living in a dry and / or hot climate. Patients also often complain of the occurrence of asthma.
One of the possible causes of this disease is the effect of ultraviolet rays on the eye. Symptoms are similar to other allergic diseases of this type - photophobia, increased tearing. Because of severe itching and burning, it is characterized by mild excitability, an irritated condition.
Important! If the spring catarrh is troubling a child, then parents prefer to give him sleeping pills or a sedative so that he quickly regains consciousness. However, this can not be done, because the disease only progresses - there is an allergy to medicines.
This type of eye allergy is often treated by children and adolescents, among adults it is less common. Basically, the disease occurs due to poor environmental conditions of the environment, an unfavorable climate. Sometimes genetic predisposition is also taken into account.
How does the allergy manifest itself? On the skin of the eyelids appear bubble rashes, in connection with this patient constantly worried about itching and burning. Eyes often swell.
The most common causes of this kind of dermatitis:
- work with chemicals;
- work on food production;
- is allergic to certain types of medications;
- pollen of plants.
Angioedema( edema Quincke)
The cause is a congenital intolerance of certain drugs, especially antibiotics, as well as certain foods - chocolate, eggs. Quincke edema occurs much less frequently than other eye allergic diseases, mainly in children. The main symptoms:
- strong, but short-term itching in the eye area;
- is an edema of the orbital fiber, which quickly spreads to other parts of the eye.
Sometimes, in addition to the main symptoms are also lethargic, pale skin, discouragement and loss of appetite.
Pollinous conjunctivitis( pollinosis)
The main cause is plant pollen. Widespread throughout the globe, characterized by seasonality of manifestations - in spring, summer and autumn:
- in spring is caused by pollen of trees, especially dell, alder and oak;
- in summer - the blossoming of cereals. Poplar fluff also blooms at this time, but it does not cause an allergic reaction, the wine lies precisely on the cereals;
- in autumn allergies give rise to weeds that have very high allergenic activity.
In pollinosis, the mucous membranes of the nose and eyes quickly become irritated, which leads to severe itching, burning. Characteristic of photophobia.
Important! Most often, eye allergy occurs in people that wear lenses. External stimuli( pollen, room dust) can settle on lenses and cause a certain reaction from the body.
Eye Drops Types
Eye drops will not save from the allergy itself, they will only help to calm the symptoms and make the treatment easier for the patient. For successful recovery it is necessary to determine the allergen and get rid of its presence in the environment. Thus, drops for the eyes will become useless after three to four months, because the stimulus will be found.
There are contraindications to taking eye drops. It is strictly forbidden to use them in the following cases:
- the patient suffers from infectious diseases of the eyes( conjunctivitis, endophthalmitis);
- is allergic to eye drops;
- drops with corticosteroids should not be used in patients with cataracts.
In addition, if the patient wears a lens, then they can be worn back only ten to fifteen minutes after the instillation procedure.
An ophthalmologist usually prescribes drops of one of these categories. However, with the permission of a specialist, they can be combined with each other:
Antihistamine eye drops( Lecrolin, Opatanol, Cromohexal) can quickly suppress allergic symptoms even in the peak of the disease. Such a medicine is allowed to be taken even during pregnancy, but it is necessary to consult with a specialist.
Important! If the allergen is unknown, then antihistamine drops are not recommended.
Drops of this category successfully affect edema and inflammation processes, as well as pain. They are of three types:
- corticosteroid( Lotoprednol) - they are forbidden to use for people with cataracts;
- non-steroidal( Acupuncture);
- combined( Garazon).
In addition, there are children's anti-inflammatory drops, for example, Levomycetin - inexpensive, but from this no less qualitative.
Vasodilating drops( Vizin, Okumil) are noteworthy because they are addictive. In addition, with the termination of the course of use, symptoms( edema, redness, frequent allergic reactions) come back with redoubled force. Nevertheless, the medicine is well perceived by the body and promotes treatment through penetration through the vascular system of the eye.
Hormonal eye drops( dexamethasone, Tebrix, Maxitrol) stop the action of the allergen even at the cell level - this is the main difference of this type of funds from others. In addition, they are able to:
- to stop the inflammatory processes;
- to stop the reaction of rejection of the body, if an operation was performed on the eyes;
- help with eye burns.
Such drugs should be used for up to one week, maximum - up to two. Further unwanted diseases can develop. In general, eye drops with hormones are allowed to use only after consultation with an ophthalmologist, preferably - an adult. For children, pregnant and lactating, this type of medication is not recommended.
General rules for the use of eye drops
The most important rule is that you can not use any eye drops without consulting an ophthalmologist, even if the symptoms are the same. So you can cause irreparable harm to your body.
- Outside the house, the drug is instilled in a calm room, after which it is preferable to wear sunglasses to ensure that no external stimuli are present.
- You should not combine drops without doctor's permission.
- After application, there should be no burning or dryness in the eyes. When these sensations appear, the use of such a drug should be stopped immediately.
- If you use eye medicine for more than three to four days, but no results, be sure to notify your doctor.
- Keep a clean eye drops - packaging, bottle, pipette.
- During the treatment, take a stroll in a calm, but not too hot weather, wear sunglasses, avoid touching your eyes with your hands.
- Hands should also be clean. In addition, if a child is treated, be careful that he does not try to rub eyes because of burning.
Important! It is not recommended to replace medications prescribed by a doctor with their cheaper( or more expensive) analogs.
List of popular eye drops, their price
If you can not decide which eye drops are the best and how to choose them, see the table below. It provides popular drugs against allergies, including their general description, type and price category, which makes the search for the necessary drug easy and generally available.
|Cromohexal||Antihistamine eye drops||Relieve allergy symptoms, relieve itching and burning||up to 114 rubles.|
|Levomycetin||Anti-inflammatory drops||Relieve inflammation of the eyes, remove edema||19-24 rub.|
|Vizin||Vasodilating drops||Penetrating through the vascular system, addictive||145 rub.|
|Dexamethasone||Hormonal drops||Stops inflammation and rejection reaction||55 руб.|
Focus not on the price of the drug, but on its quality and contraindications. Remember that the opportunity to see is one of the most valuable, and do not neglect the correct selection of the medicine. Often it depends on it, will your eyes be healthy or not.