Soothing action of valerian is familiar to everyone. However, valerian has other useful properties. The richness of the composition makes it possible to use the plant for getting rid of insomnia, with headaches and even intestinal distress. Benefit and harm of the tincture of valerian is worth knowing before you start taking.
The healing properties of valerian root
How to take valerian tincture - instruction
Can I take valerian during pregnancy
Fennel fruits - useful properties and contraindications of plant
Useful properties of rose hip syrup and its contraindications
There are many useful properties of valerian. However, when taking tinctures with this plant, it is important to take into account its side effects. Before using the drug, it is better to consult a doctor and find out about contraindications.
What makes valerian most effective? With various symptoms, it can be used both separately and together with other drugs. The root of valerian contains more than 100 substances that have different effects. One of the most useful and effective is essential oil. It is extracted exclusively from the underground part of the plant. Of 100 g of roots, only 2 g of essential oil can be obtained.
Also in the plant contains many other ethers. The roots are rich in alcohol borneol. There are tannins in the composition, so before using it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Important! One of the substances that are contained in the root of valerian is actinide. He has a stupefying effect on a cat. This is explained by the similarity of the composition of actinidin with one component of cat urine.
To understand what helps the root of valerian, it is worth exploring its useful properties in more detail.
What is the use of valerian? All parts of the plant are useful for making tinctures. However, only the root contains most of the curative substances.
- Valerian tincture has a positive effect on the digestive system. It is able to intensify the bile secretion.
- Tincture is also used in the complex treatment for spasms of the esophagus, constipation, liver disease.
- Valerian( herb) has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system. It is prescribed for increased heart rate, with angina and pain in the heart.
- Substances contained in the root of the plant have a vasodilating effect. To treat hypertension in the initial stage, the tincture of valerian is taken regularly.
The main effect of the drug is to calm the central nervous system. Also tincture helps restore emotional balance, cope with headaches, reduce feelings of anxiety and increase efficiency. What parts of the plant are used for treatment in medicine? In most cases, the root is recycled, but it is possible to apply the entire aboveground part.
The remedy helps with such disorders:
For example, if a capricious baby is bathed in a valerian bath, it will become calmer. However, before this, it is worth consulting with a specialist.
Important! For medicinal purposes, valerian is used to relieve symptoms of epilepsy, bronchial asthma, and pneumonia.
Today not every drugstore can find a quality product. Sometimes you can notice that the tincture of valerian does not help to cope with nervous overstrain. Buyers can not know reliably what percentage of the content of useful substances is in a particular vial. In addition, given the overall economy, you can stumble on a pacifier.
For these reasons, it is better to use natural remedy to maintain your own health. To do this, you will have to walk around the fields and find the high growth umbrellas of the healing plant. For the tincture, the roots will be needed, so they must be carefully excavated.
There are several varieties of products containing the root of valerian. They are distinguished by useful properties and peculiarities of influence on the body. Most often valerian is used in the form of tinctures, infusions, broths:
- Infusion. It is often used during a headache. There is a proven recipe for how to make a tincture at home. For this use 1 tbsp.l.rhizomes and 200 ml of boiled water. Water is first cooled, and then the plant is poured. After this, the solution is left for 12 hours. Take infusion can be up to 3 times a day for 1 tbsp.l.before eating.
- Decoction. Such a tool often treat nervous overexcitation and insomnia. To prepare a medicine, you need to pour 250 ml of boiling water 1 tbsp.l.rhizomes. Capacity should be wrapped with a towel and wait 1 hour. Take a decoction of 1 tbsp.l.4 times a day.
- Alcohol tincture. This remedy is used for increased excitability, sleep disturbance, increased blood pressure. To prepare the tincture, you need to fill the roots of the plant with 70% alcohol in a ratio of 1: 5, respectively. The solution is insisted for 7 days in a warm place. How to take the remedy? It is consumed 3 times a day before meals. Add 25 drops to a small amount of water.
There are also many other recipes using valerian tinctures. For example, from a headache helps herbal tea, brewed from lemon balm and peppermint. For 200 ml of tea must be added art.l.honey, then drip 30 drops of valerian tincture. This tea can be drunk 4 times a day.
Important! Do not take this medication for children younger than 12 years. The damage from valerian in this case is not comparable with the beneficial effect.
Breastfeeding and newborns are generally prohibited from giving drugs that depress the central nervous system. For this reason, breastfeeding should refrain from the use of valerian. Also, you should refrain from using medicines that include the plant:
If necessary, use sedatives should consult a doctor. During the intake, it is necessary to observe the dosage. What is harmful for human valerian? To find out, it's worth getting acquainted with possible negative effects.
Possible negative effects - harm
Before applying the phytopreparation it is necessary to take into account that the tincture of valerian is able to enhance the effectiveness of the drugs that depress the central nervous system. Also, it increases the strength of the impact of cardiac drugs, analgesics, spasmolytic drugs. The plant has another name - the blood of the vegetable kingdom. Is the valerian harmful? Negative effects appear only if the rules of reception are violated. Often its use at night contributes to a sound sleep and general relaxation of the body.
Harm from the use of valerian tincture can occur with a long duration of drug intake, non-compliance with the rules of application of the drug. With regular use of the drug for more than 2 months and if the allowable dose is exceeded, there may be malfunctions in the operation of the gastrointestinal tract. There may also be a feeling of depression, headaches, drowsiness. If the patient suffers from an enterocolitis, the use of valerian root is contraindicated. Benefits and harm for men and women from the tincture of valerian is determined by the state of health.
Tincture purchased at a pharmacy, or prepared independently, is recommended before meals. If the patient has gastrointestinal diseases, it is better to use the herbal remedy after eating. This measure will reduce irritation of the digestive tract. The tool has a cumulative effect. Possible overdose both from a one-time, and from a regular reception.
Do not use remedy:
- for children under 12 years of age;
- for allergies to the components of the drug.
Overdose may cause malaise, chronic heart disease, hypotension, hypotension. In pregnancy, it is not recommended to use only alcoholic tincture of valerian.