Peeling is a natural process of sloughing off dead epidermis located on the surface of the skin. Normally, the process goes unnoticed - keratinized scales are washed off during bathing and wiping with a towel. However, sometimes the ears may be peeling.
Excessive scaling indicates overdrying of the skin or the rapid division of epithelial cells, when the keratinized scales do not have time to slough. This pathology can cause damage to the skin of the auditory canal due to mechanical, chemical irritation, inflammation or allergies.
If the scaling develops for the first time, then a doctor's consultation will be required. Only by results of complex diagnostics it is possible to precisely define the reason of a pathology, to appoint or nominate effective therapy. Do not ignore the appearance of unpleasant symptoms, because some diseases of the ears can lead to dangerous consequences.
The following factors trigger the development of skin peeling:
- The increased dryness of the skin in the ear, which is an individual characteristic of a person;
- Unbalanced diet;
- Development of furunculosis;
- Violation of hygiene rules;
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Frequent skin cleansing, which causes dryness;
- The intake of vitamins and nutrients in insufficient quantities;
- Fungal infection;
- Development of eczema;
- Allergy. In this case, peel off the auricle and skin behind the ears;
- Excessive formation of sulfur;
- Advanced age of patients;
- Mechanical damage to the skin in the ear;
- Genetic predisposition;
- Frequent stressful situations.
It is worthwhile to consider more in detail the main causes of echinoderma.
About the causes of itching and flaking in the ears in our video:
Inflammation of the
In most cases, the ears begin to peel against the background of inflammatory processes. Inflammation can lead to damage to the external and internal parts of the hearing aid. The following diseases are distinguished:
- Otitis externa;
- Fungal infection;
Exfoliation in external otitis or dandruff in the auditory meatus
Inflammation of the external auditory canal in children and adults can develop due to the infectious process caused by staphylococci. The disease often provokes the development of the following symptoms:
- Peeling of the ears;
- Hearing loss;
- The appearance of a feeling of stiffness;
- Development of pain syndrome. Pain usually appears suddenly, but it can be permanent and debilitating;
- Appearance of purulent discharge.
Often, ear flaking develops against the background of the emergence of a furuncle. The main cause of the disease is infection of small wounds on the skin. The development of a boil may indicate the inflammation of the hair follicle, the sebaceous gland and the dermis.
The initial stages of the disease are characterized by the appearance of itching, puffiness and slight reddening of the skin on the affected area. Then there is an acute pain syndrome without disturbing the quality of the hearing.
If irritation of the external ear canal with chemical compounds or prolonged discharge of pus can develop dermatitis. The disease leads to the development of intolerable itching, swelling of the skin, the appearance of wet wounds, and peeling.
Hard crusts and vesicles are often formed on the affected areas. Characteristic gradual increase in symptoms in the absence of therapy.
Treatment of dermatitis should be comprehensive. The following groups of medicines are recommended:
- Means with antihistamine effect;
- Corticosteroids for external use;
- Antibiotics for secondary infection;Hydrogen peroxide or soda solution. Allow to conduct disinfection and eliminate exudate
It is necessary to adhere to a hypoallergenic diet until the symptoms of the disease are completely eliminated.
About the causes of dermatitis in the ears and the methods of its treatment in our video:
Pathology refers to allergic diseases that can occur in acute and chronic form. The duration of the acute stage does not exceed 21 days. It is characterized by damage to the upper layers of the epidermis.
The use of effective therapy can completely cure the disease. Otherwise, it is possible to attach a secondary infection, reduce immunity, so the disease becomes chronic.
The following eczema symptoms stand out:
- Redness of the skin;
- Development of pruritus;
- The skin becomes dense;
- The appearance of a shallow rash, similar to dermatitis;
- Appearance of dry crusts, cracks, which provoke peeling.
Therapy of the disease is based on the use of external means. When developing wet wounds, rubbing with alcohol or with preparations based on oxycorte is used. If dry crusts appear, then application of anti-inflammatory ointments having antifungal and vasoconstrictor components is indicated. In rare cases, antibiotic therapy is indicated.
Often the cause of peeling of the ears is the fungal lesion of the skin. The disease develops in patients with reduced immunity, when favorable conditions for the development of fungi occur. Fungal infection leads to the development of the following symptoms:
- The appearance of noise in the ears;
- Development of severe itching;
- Skin is peeling;
- The onset of a headache;
- Appearance of a sensation in the ear of a foreign body;
- Appearance of secretions with a specific odor.
Tinnitus with eczema and dermatitis
What are the symptoms accompanying this condition
Earlust can lead to the development of the following clinical picture:
- Peeling white pieces of the epidermis;
- Appearance of itching and burning;
- Dryness of the skin.
If the ears are flaky against the background of external otitis, the list of symptoms is significantly enlarged.
What is the treatment for the allergic origin of the
symptom? If the allergic reaction is the cause of skin flaking in the external auditory meatus, then the doctors use the following therapy tactics:
- Taking antihistamines( Tavegil, Suprastin, Loratadin, Erius).It is recommended to use medicines for systemic exposure and topical application. This will eliminate the itching and burning;
- Use of sedatives( tincture of valerian, motherwort, hawthorn).
- Compliance with hypoallergenic diet;
- Wipe the skin with antiseptic solutions. This is necessary to prevent the development of secondary infection;
- Corticosteroid preparations. Local hormonal drugs are prescribed to stop the acute process.
If the scalp develops earlobes, then you should refrain from wearing earrings, headgear.
What to do in case of fungal otitis
When developing a fungal infection, you need to determine the type of fungus. This will help in choosing an effective drug. When a mold is found, Terbinafine is indicated. If a fungal infection is triggered by yeast fungi, then recommend the use of Pimafucin.
For the treatment of external otitis use local medicines( ointments and drops).In severe cases, prescribe antibiotics .Preventive measures include the removal of moisture from the ears, the refusal to bathe in contaminated water bodies and the use of sharp objects during hygienic manipulation.
How to recognize a fungal infection in the ears, Dr. Komarovsky will tell:
How to get rid of dandruff in the auricle
Dandruff in the external auditory canal or on the eyebrows develops against a background of frequent stressful situations, unbalanced and meager nutrition. Therefore, it is necessary to normalize the diet, the daily routine. If the cause of dandruff - a violation of metabolic processes, it is necessary to consult an endocrinologist.
In some cases, the scaling and itching in the ear develop due to the characteristics of the skin type. With oily scalp, which requires frequent washing, the appearance of white scales on clothing can be suspected violation of the functionality of the sebaceous glands in the external auditory canal.
Skin peeling inside the external auditory meatus has a favorable prognosis with timely therapy. When whitish scales appear in the ear area, it is recommended to consult with a specialist and conduct a comprehensive diagnosis.