Various formations, swelling, appearing during illnesses, cause a significant amount of anxiety. Most often we can encounter cones behind the ear, which can be quite painful when feeling, which causes considerable inconvenience and discomfort.
In other cases, the cone may not be felt for a long time, but it does not decrease, which is also a bad symptom.
Cone behind the ear
The cone behind the ear is most often an enlarged lymph node, which is located in the cervical region. This is due to the presence of an inflammatory process in the body, which has already spread and begins to attack the most vulnerable of its departments.
However, the cone may indicate the presence of a tumor that has also arisen as a result of the inflammatory process, but has a completely different nature.
Most often, the cone is painless and does not pose a health hazard to an adult or child. It should be sufficiently dense, mobile, palpation clearly felt and palpated.
In the overwhelming majority of cases, if the cause of cone formation is the lymph node, the ailment quickly passes by itself. However, the lump can rapidly increase, become painful, there may be a suppuration and a rapid deterioration of its condition.
On the photo of the cone behind the ear of a different etiology
In each individual case, the symptomatology may vary. In any case, a person needs to be extremely attentive to his condition and constantly watch his neoplasm.
However, at the initial stage, the cone may not show itself at all, do not disturb the person. But certain symptoms even at a non-dangerous stage still exist:
- A clear visual manifestation of the cone behind the ear;
- Outline of education;
- Absence of tenderness in palpation;
- No uncomfortable sensations.
With worsening and infection of the cones, the process is aggravated, suppuration begins. To all this, the following symptoms are attached:
- Redness of the lump behind the ear;
- Increase in cones in size;
- Tenderness soreness;
- Presence of edema;
- Possible increase in temperature due to the development of inflammation;
- Burning sensation;
A lump behind the ear can occur for a number of reasons. These include not only the causes of the infectious and catarrhal character, but also the mechanical one.
Among the most common causes are:
- Metabolic disorders;
- Non-compliance with hygiene standards;
- Excessive production of sebaceous fat by sebaceous glands;
- Chronic diseases;
- ; Oncological diseases;
- Infection of the mouth and respiratory system;
- Mechanical damage, injuries, burns;
- Subcooling and cold;
- Excessive sweating;
- Immune defenses fall;
- Environmental Impact;
- Damage to the skin by means of acne, seborrhea.
The most common reasons for the appearance of bumps behind the ear are nevertheless attributed to the common cold, lymphadenitis, infectious diseases, the consequences of unsuccessful piercing and other mechanical manipulations.
Colds in the body exacerbate protective functions, which usually leads to an increase in lymph nodes. Due to this, a person can find in himself the characteristic formations that can be not only behind or under the ear, but also under the jaw, on the neck, in the groin and even on the head.
Infectious ailments, such as mumps, tuberculosis and others, can provoke cones behind the ear. Diseases of this nature can cause various complications, sometimes reaching the purulent processes.
Characterized by the appearance of cones behind the ear. This ailment can occur in a chronic and acute form. In untimely treatment, lymphadenitis can flow into the purulent form, which threatens extensive infection of the blood.
How the inflamed lymph nodes
tumors The formation of tumors behind the ear is not excluded. In most cases, the formation of benign-lily, that is, adipose. Most often they occur in the head region, but can be located in other places. When benign tumors are neglected, they tend to degenerate into malignant tumors.
Thus, a pronounced bump on the bone behind the ear can indicate the presence of fibroma, hemangioma. If a malignant tumor is suspected, an oncologist should be examined and consulted.
What to do if a wen appeared behind the ear:
A lump behind the ear can also appear due to a common injury. So, with a blow, there is a swelling of the tissues, which leads to densification, and after and to the build-up.
In some cases, seals may appear in the earlobe itself, on the sink or cartilage. This occurs when piercing the ears and when wearing tunnels. The peculiarity of tissue scarring leads to the appearance of a peculiar growth on the lobe. It is completely painless and does not cause any inconvenience to a person. It can only be removed by surgery.
A cone behind the ear can indicate a number of abnormalities, pathologies and diseases. Do not ignore the very fact of the appearance of education, even if it is not accompanied by painful symptoms. In the future, they may manifest themselves in acute form, but democratic treatment will not be effective.
Thus, the lump can be caused by such additional reasons:
- Lipoma - livers;
- Fistula of the ear;
- Tumor of the parotid glands.
Cone behind the ear due to mastoiditis, more on this in our video:
Complications occur in the absence of treatment and with late detection of cones. They look like this:
- Increase of the cone in size;
- The presence of inflammation;
- Increased body temperature;
- Deterioration of well-being;
- Tumor formation.
To avoid deterioration, you should contact a specialist for assistance in time.
Diagnosis, history and analysis of
If a cone is found, the patient must go to the doctor for an examination. Among the doctors who can be contacted for help, there are:
The first step is to collect an anamnesis. Thus, the doctor can learn about the approximate time of the appearance of the cone, the circumstances of its appearance, as well as the available additional symptoms.
First of all, the doctor examines the cone, performs palpation, determines the degree of soreness. Regardless of the severity of symptoms, the doctor conducts a mandatory medical examination.
- a general blood test - allows to reveal the level of leukocytes;
Additional studies may require:
- consultation of other specialists.
Treatment begins with the exact diagnosis.
Treatment of the cone behind the ear is prescribed only by a specialist on the basis of studies and analyzes. Self-medication is completely unacceptable, since it can easily provoke unforeseen consequences. A cone of any size can not be squeezed out, heated, apply various compresses.
Thus, the treatment may suggest the following:
- If the cone was caused by infection or otitis, the patient is prescribed antifungal drugs, as well as antibiotics. It is necessary to pay special attention to the hygiene of the inflamed area, not to allow the cones to contact the clothing and not to subject it to mechanical influence.
- If a patient has a cyst and an education of this type, the use of cortisone is indicated, as well as the resort to surgical intervention under local anesthesia. In the presence of a grease, a manipulation is carried out to destroy the adipose tissue and resorb the formation.
- In cancerous tumors, only surgical treatment is indicated. However, preliminary it is necessary to pass a thorough examination.
- When inflammation of the lymph node is indicated drug treatment. It involves eliminating the causes that caused the inflammatory process. Treatment includes a course of antibiotics and physiotherapy.
In some cases, doctors allow the use of folk remedies as maintenance therapy. You can not use it yourself categorically.
How to treat an atheroma of the ear, see in our video:
Dangerous signs of
Quite often people ignore those symptoms in which to refer to a specialist. These include:
- tenderness of the cones;
- temperature increase;
- redness of the area around the cone and the lump itself;
- pulsation inside tissues.
Even an innocuous, at first glance, condensation can grow rapidly, leading to unbearable pain, suppuration and progression of the inflammatory process.