Medicinal plants are an integral part of traditional medicine. Even in ancient times, they were used both for the treatment of various ailments, and for their prevention. In traditional medicine, too often used components of herbs, on their basis, many drugs, teas, syrups and healthy food supplements have been created.
Tussilago farfara( in Latin) - mother-and-stepmother. Belongs to the genus of herbaceous perennials from the family Srednotsvetnykh.
It grows almost all over Eurasia, found in North America, in parts of North Africa.
Prefers clayey and well-moistened soils, slightly overgrown with turf. Often, this grass can be found on sandy, pebble shallows, on the slopes of forest ravines, on artificial embankments, along the banks of all kinds of ponds, and in crops of economic crops.
The root of the plant is creeping, branched, reaching one meter in favorable conditions. Kidneys on the rhizome are divided into flower-bearing and vegetative.
With the onset of early spring, the development of flowering shoots begins.
The flowers are bright yellow. Their diameter is 2 - 2.5 cm. Having matured, the heads of the plant become fluffy, reminiscent of dandelions.
Fruits are slightly curved seeds with small, feather-like tufts. One plant ripens about 18 thousand seeds, which have very high germination.
Vegetative shoots grow after the beginning of flowering. In each of the shoots, several heart-shaped, round leaves with uneven toothed edges develop, forming a rosette. The upper side of the leaves is smooth, the lower side is rough. It is because of this feature on top of the sheet that it seems warmer than the bottom.
The healing properties of
A rich variety of biologically active ingredients contain flowers, rhizomes and the leaves of coltsfoot:
- Tannins( known for their anti-inflammatory effect, have a protective effect on mucous membranes against irritants).
- Carotene( removes from the body an excess of harmful radicals, strengthening immunity).
- Saponin( often included in expectorants, sedatives).
- Polysaccharides( energy sources).
- Bitter glycoside( stimulates the secretion of gastric juice).
- Essential oils( normalize metabolic processes, effective for skin ailments, widely used in various spheres of cosmetology).
- Ascorbic acid( indispensable for supporting immunity).
- Beta-sitosterol( lowers cholesterol, has anti-cancer effect).
- Phytosterol( responsible for maintaining the structure of body cells).
- Tussilagin( improves the excretion of sputum).
Mother-and-stepmother deservedly considered the oldest healer among medicinal herbs. Her healing properties were known in Greece, in Rome.
The healing properties of coltsfoot:
The main properties described by modern medicine
- Diaphoretic( to relieve severe heat).
- Overlapping( against stomach diseases).
Treatment of ENT diseases
The use of components of this plant is effective for almost all ENT diseases:
- Dental infections.
How is theused?
- Remarkable remedy for all kinds of diseases of the respiratory system are inhalations with the components of the mother-and-stepmother. With prolonged coughing it is also useful to inhale the smoke from burning dried leaves.
- Rinses of sore throat folk decoctions from gruel plant components are effective in pharyngitis, tonsillitis, viral infections, stomatitis in children.
- With toothache, fresh leaves are placed on smoldering coals and the mouth is drawn in by the mouth, holding it for a while in the mouth. This has a soothing effect on the inflamed nerve.
- Tea with mother-and-stepmother is a well-known remedy for seasonal decreases in immunity, it is also useful during the rehabilitation period after the illness.
- The broth of the plant is washed with a nose in rhinitis, antritis.
- When migraines to the temples need to attach fresh leaflets. The application of leaves is used for disinfection of external small wounds and as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent against insect bites.
- Cosmetology is popular for body creams with mother-and-stepmother, relaxing foot baths, face masks.
Decoction:( 220 grams of boiling water, 6 grams of dried leaves).
- Pour the leaves with water. Then, after boiling for a few minutes, let them brew for a quarter of an hour.
- Make the resulting decoction.
- Take it one spoon several times a day.
Infusion:( A glass of boiling water, one spoonful of freshly ground chopped leaves).
Pour the leaves with the right amount of boiling water, hold them under the lid for a quarter of an hour. Then leave the infusion for three quarters of an hour. Further strain. In the finished drink, add the cooled water to make up the boiled water. Take slightly warmed before eating. One third of a cup is enough for one meal. Keep this infusion in the refrigerator.
How to make infusion from coltsfoot:
Contraindications, side effects of
Using medicines based on the components of mother-and-stepmother, it is important to know that the sheets contain glycosides. An overdose of them is fraught with poisoning. On this basis, the main conditions of
self-treatment are the correct calculation of the dosage of raw materials and the limited duration of the intake.
Do not take this herb:
- With individual intolerance.
- When pregnant.
- With frequent delay in menstruation.
- When breastfeeding.
How to prepare
To collect flowers you need dry, sunny weather.
Dry them in the shade, in a light breeze or in rooms with good ventilation. For drying use special nets from stainless steel. In order for the flowers to dry evenly from time to time they are turned over. Store dried flowers preferably in paper bags or boxes.
You can not tear old leaves with brown spots and those that have already begun to turn yellow. Dry them as well as flowers.
In urban areas and along roadsides, it is undesirable to collect plants. They absorb a lot of harmful substances, chemicals and can be hazardous to health.
Already ready dried components are sold in pharmacies.
Drugs and remedies with mother-and-stepmother
Efficiency and feedback
Mother-and-stepmother has proved worthy as one of the best natural cough remedies. But still, official medicine considers it a secondary means for treating diseases, and not the main one.
Before use, it is advisable to ask advice from a specialist and remember that any therapy should be comprehensive. In many ways, its effectiveness depends on this.